Different Carp

mattuna

• 2 weeks later...

28 scales along lateral line

very strong bone-line leading ray of the top fin (you can even see the saw-like bone in the pic)

the dorsal fin's also convex.

so this is a prussion carp despite all the saying that prussion carp doesn't exist in AU. as a matter of fact, prussion carp (goldfish) juveniles are sold in shops as uncolored gold fish feeders that's how they got into our waterways.

reference:
/>http://www.farnhamanglingsociety.com/species/carp-crucian.php

Carassius carassius Carassius gibelio

Carassius auratus gibelio

a) Very rounded snout

B) Always golden bronze

c) 33 + scales along lateral line

d) Juveniles have a black spot at the base of the tail, which disappear with age

e) The leading ray of the dorsal fin is weak

f) The dorsal fin is higher for longer and concave in shape and has 15 or less branched rays a) Pointed snout

B) Grey greenish colour

c) 31 or less scales on lateral line

d) No black spot present on juveniles

e) The leading ray of the dorsal fin is strong

f) The dorsal fin is convex in shape and has 15 or more branched rays

NOT a Prussian Carp C.gibelio

L lat is worthless, as are fin shapes and ray counts due to hybridisation and the incredible variation in morphology of domesticated strains, even when they revert to something resembling the original wild form.

hey everyone, i got this carp the other day, jut interested if anyone has seen or caught this type of carp?

[attachment=36637]DSCN2677.JPG[/attachment]

regards

matthew

Still learning Aus fish, looks weard and its quite fat looking :blink:

Dont know what it is :dry:

Cheers

Darren

NOT a Prussian Carp C.gibelio

L lat is worthless, as are fin shapes and ray counts due to hybridisation and the incredible variation in morphology of domesticated strains, even when they revert to something resembling the original wild form.

well if none of those counts then probably only DNA will tell. personally i caught probably over 10,000 of these since i was a kid in thailand and we got some in japan as well in a trip and i'm quite sure this is the same fish we got in thailand which's prussion carp.

• 1 month later...

The water is fresh up the top end of the brissy river tidal reaches. You can cast net there. Bull sharks swim up to colleges crossing to give birth because it is freshwater.

I read a report on here about 2 dead barramundi found at the lowood bend of the brissy river recently. People chuck all sorts of fish out when they don't want them as pets anymore.

Archived