gt's in Canals

SouthEast Fishing

[video]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwohBr6kJ3k&lc=x58ntrCEnAQiZtFtE_OSGvBPGc45s6KaxocI6AWJzyw&feature=inbox

25/8/11

Hey All,

Well after our success of last week’s canal fishing trip myself and Bob decided to head back up to Caloundra’s Pelican Waters for another afternoon session.

The weather this week has been miserable! Rain, Wind, Swell and more Wind. We have both been eager to get our fish on so Caloundra was on the cards again. We finished work early and packed the boat and flew up to chase the unknown. When we rocked up to the boat ramp we were greeted by 20knot winds and half a foot of chop in the passage STRAIGHT TO THE CANALS we went.

As per usual we headed straight down to the bridge and weir to try our luck for some Trevally. Bob was using his ever faithful 4inch Gulp minnow in Smelt on a 1/8th Atomic jig head and I was using Gulp Turtleback also on a 1/8th jig head which was a first for me! It didn’t take long before Bob was hit with force. He had thrown his plastic in the shade of the bridge and had let it sink straight to the bottom before giving it a few hops and getting hit by a GT. The fight was short lived though as the hook came loose and the fish found its freedom. COOL we were both excited, this is what we had come to catch and seeing the flash of silver on that fish was very promising for a great afternoon’s fishing. We were right! As the boat drifted down towards the weir I was drilled and my drag just started to scream, I set the hooks and turned around to see Bob’s rod buckle over Yes! Double hook up every fisherman’s dream. We had a few obstacles to overcome while fighting these fish, the weir a pontoon and warning signs positioned in front of the weir, not to mention juggling ourselves around NO FRILLS (Bobs Boat). We won Bob netting his first then mine not long after we had hooked two decent GT’s which measured 60 and 50cm. On very light line in the canals we were very happy to say the least.

For the rest of the Afternoon we stayed around the bridge and weir watching the GT’s slash their way through small bait fish having a feeding frenzy. We boated 6 all up in our afternoon’s session ranging from 50 up to 60cm with Bob schooling me catching 5 of the 6.

Technique: 2 Retrieves

1st long wind assisted cast and letting the plastic sink to the bottom with slow hops back to the boat

2nd long cast let the plastic sink half way down then quick bursts back to the boat with small pauses in between

Rods: Wilson Live Fibre Blade n Tales

Plastics: 4inch minnow in the smelt and Turtle back in Banana

Reels: Daiwa Caldia & Shimano Sienna

Hope you enjoy Video and Photo’s

Cheers Andrew SEQFA
/>http://www.southeastqldfishingadventures.com/

post-7987-144598668291_thumb.jpg

post-7987-144598668303_thumb.jpg

post-7987-144598668314_thumb.jpg

post-7987-144598668319_thumb.jpg

post-7987-144598668324_thumb.jpg

Archived