god dammmm government

madmullet

The gun buy back scheme was a joke from start to finish, but it was only a part of the agenda..

The Port Arthur Massacre in 1996 transformed gun control legislation in Australia.

Since 1996 all States subscribe to the National Agreement on Firearms (NAF). The NAF was instituted through the Australian Police Ministers Conference, with the cooperation of all states.

Firearms laws are the responsibility of state governments, and usually these Governments act on the recommendations of their Police services in firearms matters.

Until 1996, the Commonwealth/Federal Government had little role in firearms law.

Following the Port Arthur massacre, Howard frequently referred to the USA to explain his opposition to civilian firearms ownership and use in Australia ". In an interview on Sydney radio station 2GB he said "we will find any means we can to further restrict them, because I hate guns... ordinary citizens should not have weapons.

John Howard is on record a number of times stating his “I hate guns....†personal feelings on legally held firearms.

John Howard when he was Opposition Leader during a 1995 interview with Australian political journalist Laurie Oaks expressed his desire to introduce restrictive gun laws.

In a television interview shortly before the tenth anniversary of the Port Arthur massacre, Howard stated that he saw the outpouring of grief in the aftermath of the Port Arthur massacre as "an opportunity to grab the moment, to change gun laws in this country".

Howard, then newly elected PM, took gun law proposals developed from the report of the 1988 National Committee on Violence and urged the states to adopt them under a National Firearms Agreement.

This was necessary because the Australian Constitution did not give the Federal Government power to enact gun laws.

Howard had strong Liberal Party support in doing this.These gun laws are still a big problem area between the National Party and the Liberal Party, who formed the coalitions` Federal Government from 1996 to 2007. The National Party had strong support from rural voters, most of whom were against the Federal government's moves towards gun control.

In 1997, Howard appointed the Australian Institute of Criminology (AIC) to monitor the effects of the gun buyback. The AIC have published a number of papers reporting trends and statistics around gun ownership and gun crime, which they have found to be mostly related to illegally-held firearms.

In the November 2007 Federal election, the Labor Party became government. Kevin Rudd showed support for legal gun ownership as he had once been a patron of the shooting clubs at the Belmont shooting complex in his Brisbane electorate and had been an active clay target shooter when he was younger. Labor's policy is to continue supporting the National Agreement on Firearms.

With the replacement of Rudd as Prime Minister with Julia Gillard and a Federal election being called, Labor issued a statement recognising the legitimacy of the shooting sports and asserting that our firearms legislation is to protect both "the freedom of Australia's law-abiding sporting shooters and of the wider community."

It has been acknowledged by several prominent Labor party ministers that the laws enacted under the NAF went too far in some regards

Active lobbying in Australia is conducted by two main groups: Gun Controll Australia and the National Coalition for Gun Control.

Gun control groups in Australia have very few members but like other agenda based minority groups they have a high media profile.

The public debate on gun control is essentially conducted via the media.The TV media and the Newspapers support gun control, with the newspapers publishing editorials in favour of further strong restrictions aimed at licenced firearm owners, whenever the opportunity arises.

The aim of these groups is the tightening of firearm controls and the reducing of legal gun ownership on the law abiding licenced people, and it appears they are silent on the illegal gun trade or/and illegally held guns…..

I believe that in the future no matter which political groups hold government, both in Federal and States we will continue to see more firearm restrictions placed on the law abiding licenced shooter’.

Now it`s about 10 round magazines,then it will be about 5 round magazines,then the focus will be on centre fire rifles etc.

All of this because of an unlicenced, mentally unstable Martin Bryant, illegally had possession of guns, and a former Prime Minister who “hates gunsâ€

My fear is that sooner or later some politicians kid, playing near water will step on a fish hook that has been tossed away by some groty fisherperson, and I the responsible fisho will be held accountable for this too.. don`t snigger, there are more groups out there who want rec fishos restricted then there are anti gun groups

The truth is that less than 1% of firearms related crimes are perpertrated by licences gun owners, that means the bigger problem is obviously the 99% of ileagly firearms, its a simple case of a violation of our rights and another opportunity for the government to start false fires and pretend to put them out. Just like the tighter and tighter restrictions being placed on recreational fishers, we take the brunt of a much larger problem of which we contribute in all liklyhood less than 1% but again hit the guys who dont have union support or a big enough voice and you'll get results. STOP PLAYING GAMES!!! Heaven forbid you actualy look at a real problem and find a real solution, but wait ... that would mean ruffling the feathers of the ones that fund your campaigns...

Integrity in government.. what a joke.. no wonder we have lost confidence in the joke that is our government.

I am a law abiding citisen who is watching people in power making bad choices about the future of a country I love, that my children are growing up in, Im watching them turn Australia away from the things I take pride in and that I loved about growing up here, they are restricting freedom because they can and because they think it will suit this group or that group. Its a joke seriously..

This post is really interesting, I was born and lived in South Africa all my life. Fellow Saffas would agree that guns are part and parcel of a society that is full of poverty and therefore horrendous crime and some nasty shit that goes down.

I love the fact that we live in a country that doesn't allow everyone to carry guns on the street but in any country you are going to get violent crimes but this government leaves me gobsmacked every time they do something like this.

The fishing license debacle this year was another politically charged reason to stir up some shit and deflect attention from the real issues.

I owned about a dozen firearms back home and loved my hunting and shooting, I really empathise with you guys.

Good luck I hope you win out!

Cheers

Batty

Thank God I left my guns back in the US.

I had really thought about going through the whole pain in the ass it takes to legally bring guns into Australia because it is one of my fondest wishes to hunt here :)

I grew up in Montana state where dinner was more often something we had hunted or caught than something we bought at the store. My favorite rifle belonged to my great grandfather (so does my second favorite rifle) and can knock down a tree :lol: but it shoots straight and is in great condition. My handgun and one of my .22's belonged to my grandfather, another to my father, etc.

Again, I am glad that I left them back there. I have fallen in love with Australia, but I'd give up on trying for permanent residency before I'd give up my guns because, to me, I'd be pissing on the graves of my family.

Anyhow Kurt, wish there was something I could do to help mate. (Although, you might be able to sell them to a gun dealer in the US to get something out of it... let me know if you want me to check into the rules for customs and such on that)

Archived