Last few weeks of fishing..

nabs

Hey all,

Have been doing a bit of fishing in the last few weeks. Been getting out a bit when Uni has been quiet. The fishing has been mixed. Caught some good fish but have also had a few dud sessions. Still, the good fish have made up for it.

I have been spending a bit of time fishing the seaway. First few sessions were very good with a fair amount of Trevally hitting the decks. They were a heap of fun. Even had a few bust offs on 20lb. Biggest I managed to land was in the 60s. There was also a few jewies around. I lost one at the boat while trying to land it by myself. Nothing huge, probably close to 70-80cm. Still dissapointing not to land it! :( I did get one small one though. Didnt measure but I would guess somewhere in the 50s.

post-107-144598686263_thumb.jpg

post-107-144598686295_thumb.jpg

There was a few fruitless sessions there but after seeing kingies and bigger jew being caught by other anglers out there it was always too hard to give it a miss. Knowing there was a chance of landing a kingy or a big jew.

Spent yesterday fishing the bay, conditions were awesome! The best weather of the week and I was keen to try somewhere different after a few donuts around the Goldy. Started off chasing snapper near Peel and managed to land this monster Morwong! Going 70cm. Was a bit dissapointed to see a Morwong come up but still was a lot of fun on 10lb. Got a few undersize squire and other assorted random reefies which were fun for a while. We spotted a few birds diving nearby so went over to have a look. Turned out to be Tailor and Dart chasing small bait. We got into them for a while which again was a bit of fun before they went quiet.

post-107-144598686279_thumb.jpg

The main plan was to go look for mack tuna which I heard were around. So we went for a bit of a drive and it wasnt long till we spotted them. Heaps of schools busting up all over the place but they were extremely spooky. Spent a lot of time trying to get within casting range and really struggled. Also noticed the baitfish they were feeding on were tiny. About an inch long. I downsized gear and went to my bream rod with 10lb and a 7gram slug. Instantly receiving one hook up which the hooks pulled from pretty soon. Took a little while longer before hooking another and this one stayed hooked. The fight was long on the bream gear (45min) but was worth it in the end! Going 85cm (I think) and 7kg. I was stoked to land it on such light gear!

post-107-14459868629_thumb.jpg

Stayed out a bit longer chasing the schools, my mate got one similar sized and then we decided to head back in as we were running low on fuel. Turns out we made it back with plenty to spare but was better to be safe then sorry.

Thats about it, will post a youtube link to a video of some of the trevally from the Seaway when I get home.

Cheers!

far out nabs there great fish B)

all on lures?

Na Nabs caught the morwong on GULP :evil: :evil:

Whats your problem?

Thanks everyone else.

All fish except for the little jewie were caught on lures. Trevally have been on 5inch gulp jerkshads and 1/2 jigheads. Morwong was on some sort of gulp, cant remember exactly.. I was switching through them minnows, shrimps and craws. One of them :lol:

Heres the vid I made a few weeks ago-

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjQ8WriuXpA

Cheers

Nice fish mate, what gear you using for the GT

cheers

Mick

Thanks mate, using 25lb PE and 20lb leader for the Trevally. May seem a bit heavy but have been blown away a few times. Also there are a lot of big fish that lurk in the area and I would like to have some sort of chance at getting one :lol:

Archived