Show us your 4WD

Surfingant

KAF na not mud bulls mate just a random weekend.

Huuuhhah ok all went really well till the pig pen...

After the pig pen lost 90% of my brakes, aircon, most electrics and major heating problems :blush:

Nursed her home, well close to home tow truck helped me with the last leg :blush:

Have spent the last week cleaning her from head to toe and oil change, radiator flush, air filter replaced and will send her in once I'm positive every last bit of evidence is gone.

Oh and busted my side step ( just needs a weld ) and LH front wheel flare which is allready in the paint shop bout $150 to fix

Would have killed for a couple more inches, oh and some more clearence :P

So if GW think it's my fault who knows how much more I'll be up for :lol:

But for all the haters out there these cars are just as capable as any low to mid range 4X4 off the show room floor couldn't fault it's performance prior to the pig pen it was a nightmare run home but I still love it to bits and wouldn't trade her for quids! :)

Cam

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
yeah well for the price you can't beat them whiskers, especially now they come in TD.

Man 6 months after I got mine the new front end model was released :pinch:

and another 6 months on we have TD!

But the truth is the petrol models run the 4G69 Mitsibishi motor used in Tritons and Lancers for a few years now it is a proven motor, The body is a modified RA Rodeo, And pretty sure all suspension, drive train, and transfer case are

Rodeo as well.

The TD is a GW motor and box, this would be the one to be sceptical of

But as you said find a comparable 4X4 even close to that price ;)

Hahaha love the looks I get up the beach and out on tracks hahaha

Cam

2004 Xtra cab Hilux. Bought it pretty stock. Since i have installed rear spotties, EFS suspension, mickey thompson wheels, bfg all terrains and flares because of the tyres. yet to be installed is an xrox bar with winch (which is booked), dual batteries and long range tank.

Glasshouse mountains

post-5421-144598714274_thumb.jpg

Fraser island Waddy point

post-5421-144598714287_thumb.jpg

Fraser island

post-5421-144598714297_thumb.jpg

heres my new hilux, as i traded old red last week, with replacement of:

2011 hilux sr5

turbo deisel

t15 alloy bull bar

lightforce spots

arb snorkel

6 speaker sterio system with alpine amps and subs

custom leather interior

140l long range tank

tow bar

rear camera set up.

hsv sunroof

awaiting for arrival ( arb sprint canopy )

vct paldino 22" wheels with cooper tyres

post-9337-144598714306_thumb.jpg

Only time this one will see 4wd is reversing my boat up my mountain of a driveway lol. Like the hilux due to ease getting in and out of it all day. And having the ute helps with carting shit around. And I guess if I'm not paying got it why not get the best of everything on it? 50,000kms a year and it will see dirt/sand about 100 of them lol

Well I have been offline due to uni and upheaval in life (and no fishing)...so now its time to start contributing again.. LOved the rigs by the way....very jealous of some!

Anyway I looked at 4wd's for 3 months before buying my 92 4 Runner, 2.8 Diesel. Cost $6000, with RWC and full year of rego, new tyres (cheap but brand new, alloy bullbar, side steps, and rear bullbar (which I sold for $300 on ebay so I could fit tow bar for boat), alloy wheels and the rest is stock. Only had 175 000 kms, one owner (old ppl in Mc'Dowal), the rest is stock. Ony issue I have is the standard problem that the rear window wont go up without assistance about one yr after buying.

I have not done any "extreme" 4wding but she has been a great car in the little over 18 months I have had her. Has taken me to double a few times and quite a few day trips to bribie

post-8423-144598718174_thumb.jpg

post-8423-144598718193_thumb.jpg

Mt Mee a few times and due to buying cheap, no loan I am not worried about scratches!

post-8423-144598718187_thumb.jpg

Although she is not a ute and not built for it in the rear suspension she enabled me to spend 36hrs straight getting ready for the floods and carried too many sandbags to count!

post-8423-144598718204_thumb.jpg

And also taught my then 12 yr old son to drive in her a few months ago

post-8423-144598718214_thumb.jpg

I love this car as she is economical, might be a bit slow but gets me wherever I need to with no fuss and tows the tinny like a dream.

My first 4wd drive was a worked FJ40 Soft Top with a 2F engine, 350 Holley, low range diff, diff lockers etc etc etc etc. Only pics I have on had are before the lift and 33 mus were put on. I loved this car too but just over 200kms out of 50 litres...... well it wasn't too bad in 2000 but definately cant afford it now!

post-8423-144598718225_thumb.jpg

post-8423-144598718234_thumb.jpg

Anyway thats my girl...love her to bits...have a few small things to work on in the front end at the moment so if there is anyone with any connections or are good at diagnosing noises from the front suspension I would love to hear from you!

Great posts here too guys...love your work!

Andrew

Got me where I needed to go!

Woops

They are a good rig rathab, what sort of noises in the front end do you have? 4runners/surfs wear out their steering stops very quickly and they make a hell of a noise but are easy and cheap to replace.

Ah that might be it. Well I am not the most mechanically minded person but go ok with guidance however my best mate who used to always be around to guide me is on the mines in WA. I have a few things. I have a small leak coming from the front right wheel around the boot seel, when I turn full lock to the right there is a creaking type sound coming from the left wheel (and its not the tyres scrubbing), and when driving and hitting a few small bumps like on all QLD roads I have a dock dock type rattle that can be felt through the floor from the passengers side.

If it is the steering stops how much do they cost, where should I go to get them, and do I need anything more than a basic tool set to replace them?

Also i forgot to ask did you put the rack on or where they on your rig already? I need to find some racks so i can get my kayak back on the water again and am trying to get something cheap for the moment until I finish uni mid next yr and start earning a decent quid again!

Cheers for the reply and starting this thread! There are some great rigs on here!

Andrew

The full lock noise is definitely the stops. Toyota should have them in stock and they simply pop off and on, they are only a couple of bucks each from memory. That leak from the front is probably a split cv boot, it's pretty common and something you'll want to get onto before doing too much more offroad as you could stuff your cv's and that costs a lot more. Cv boot replacement is not for the faint hearted though :lol: It took me a good couple of hours and lots of swearing but I got there. A great source of parts for these things is sunshine state spare parts at Archerfield, there is not a lot they don't stock. I'm more than happy to give you a hand to do any of the smaller mechanical jobs on it if I can, I'm no pro but I've done all the work on mine (including replacing the head) so I sorta know my way around them.

Ant.

The full lock noise is definitely the stops. Toyota should have them in stock and they simply pop off and on, they are only a couple of bucks each from memory. That leak from the front is probably a split cv boot, it's pretty common and something you'll want to get onto before doing too much more offroad as you could stuff your cv's and that costs a lot more. Cv boot replacement is not for the faint hearted though :lol: It took me a good couple of hours and lots of swearing but I got there. A great source of parts for these things is sunshine state spare parts at Archerfield, there is not a lot they don't stock. I'm more than happy to give you a hand to do any of the smaller mechanical jobs on it if I can, I'm no pro but I've done all the work on mine (including replacing the head) so I sorta know my way around them.

Ant.

Cheers Ant I will get onto the steering stops and inspect the cv boot and get onto that before i head off road again. Will have a look at the manual tomorrow. Cheers for the reference for parts as its local to me so thats a win. I might have to take you up on the offer sometime...its not that I am not capable once i have done something, I just dont want to stuff it up the first time around! Oh and there will be beers and a bbq in return at the least! Whereabouts are you living mate?

I'm at Forest Lake mate, yeah if you need a hand or just want someone to hand you the spanners just let me know and we can tee it up. It has been a while since I've been heavily into it but it's sort of like riding a bike I suppose. Last time I had to do a radiator flush it turned into a nightmare and ended up being a full on front end removal :silly: All because the crappy plastic rad bung was corroded and broke off :angry: Sometimes it can be handy having a helping hand in case something like that happens. And you never know, you might end up with a couple of extra inches under it too :whistle:

I'm at Forest Lake mate, yeah if you need a hand or just want someone to hand you the spanners just let me know and we can tee it up. It has been a while since I've been heavily into it but it's sort of like riding a bike I suppose. Last time I had to do a radiator flush it turned into a nightmare and ended up being a full on front end removal :silly: All because the crappy plastic rad bung was corroded and broke off :angry: Sometimes it can be handy having a helping hand in case something like that happens. And you never know, you might end up with a couple of extra inches under it too :whistle:

That would be great...I am also am slowly getting together new hoses and do a radiator flush. At the moment with cash flow (or lack thereof) :whistle: I have just been buying a few parts at a time with each pay and getting things doen slowly. I have a few days of work next week but missed out due to rain today. :angry:

I definately want to add a few inches, snorkel, and diff locker on the front, steel rims...33's and hit some real stuff once she is in order. ;) Then a AFO Cape trip might be in order ;)

Will let you know how it goes and hopefully my crappy plastic radiator bung hasn't corroded or you'll be getting that call sooner rather than later! If I get time today I might go get the steering stops but I have to help out my beautiful lady who is having company tonight.....I sort of owe her after she has paid for accom for myself and my son at Couran Cove Resort for four days next week for a wedding and a few days off :whistle:

Anyway mate of to drop the young fella at school, have a great day will grab your number and give you a call if i hit any issues.

Between you and Freedomhawk (check my other recent post) I cannot thank you guys enough for your generosity and information!

Andrew

• 1 month later...

This is my wifes ride but i spend all my money on it :lol:

2006 Grand Vitara V6 bought it stock we fitted 2" lift, Kumho tyres, ARB winch bar, snorkel, spotties, tint and a 7" DVD/GPS in dash system. Only real 4wding it has seen is 2 trips to Moreton Island.

PC020017.jpg

P8270011.jpg

Ive had heaps of 4bs but this was my favourite

1980 MQ Patrol stock with spring over axle conversion and 35" BAja Claws

ad8a81fc.jpg

fingal18.jpg

Now my only ride is a boat ;)

my new hilux!

custom leather interior

customline sunroof

tjm alloy bullbar

chrome grille