Only took me 40 years....

mongrel jack

But success at last!

Decided to have a yak fish at Coomera today but it was a late start - about 9:30 ish from memory.... Run into Zimman and had a bit of a chat, nice to meet you Rob. Also met 3 other yakkers on the water so was good to share stories.

Well the day went like this....

Spent the morning casting hard bodies and plastics at snags and shadows for zip. Went for a rocky point to see if I could tempt a bream or 2 but instead ended up with 3 flathead - smallest 30cm biggest 42cm and was a bit of fun and all caught on my favourite Crackerjack that I have had good success with many other species so my all time favourite go to lure. Wind started to pick up and cause havoc blowing the yak around so found a little sandbank out of the wind with heaps of mullet sitting on it so thought I would have a few casts over it and see if there is a flatty or 2 so imagine my surprise when a 42cm jack jumps on the lure 2nd cast in 60cm of water on a half tide at 2 in the arvo! Absolutely stoked - my first jack and he lived up to expectations. I had just changed to an unknown lure I picked up in the $2 bin at Tackleworld Forster - I have attached a pic so if anybody can ID it let me know although 1 treble got busted. I only picked it up because the colours were the same as one of my Maria's lures that works well for bream.

A great day on the water. Thanks for reading.

Cheers.

PS one of the yakkers I was talking to said he cast under a tree, hooked up a bream and was busted off, tied new lure on and cast back in the same spot, hooked the same bream and got both lures back... hahaha

post-4724-144598694271_thumb.jpg

post-4724-144598694275_thumb.jpg

post-4724-144598694278_thumb.jpg

post-4724-144598694281_thumb.jpg

post-4724-144598694284_thumb.jpg

post-4724-144598694287_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the positive comments guys. Yeah he went hard - a few good line peeling runs but was the last thing I expected to be landing... still stoked! Was using 8lb braid with 10lb leader. Should also mention all fish were released after posing for photo's.

Hope the next one comes along sooner.... :unsure:

Cheers.

40 yrs in the coming aye??? :pinch: :pinch: , very well done on you're first ;) , Not wanting to wait that long before I get mine though (thank you very much :blink: )... But definately looking forward to the feeling you would have had when you first, hooked it, saw colour, and then landed the fish itself!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: (Good things come to those that wait :cheer: )

Sorry mate don't know whether to call you "Mongrel" or "Jack", I'll go "MJ" if that's ok???

So MJ, now that your an expert ;) , please can you enlighten me on how I play the fish, and what will it actually do once it has loaded and is "In the Fight!!!"

Again big ups on your first mate.... Fingers crossed no having to wait another 40 before no. 2-100, are at your feet...

All Goody in the Hoody

Vic

You got the 1st one out of the way it should be easier now :P

Thanks for the positive comments guys. Yeah he went hard - a few good line peeling runs but was the last thing I expected to be landing... still stoked! Was using 8lb braid with 10lb leader. Should also mention all fish were released after posing for photo's.

Hope the next one comes along sooner.... :unsure:

Cheers.

40 yrs in the coming aye??? :pinch: :pinch: , very well done on you're first ;) , Not wanting to wait that long before I get mine though (thank you very much :blink: )... But definately looking forward to the feeling you would have had when you first, hooked it, saw colour, and then landed the fish itself!!! :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: (Good things come to those that wait :cheer: )

Sorry mate don't know whether to call you "Mongrel" or "Jack", I'll go "MJ" if that's ok???

So MJ, now that your an expert ;) , please can you enlighten me on how I play the fish, and what will it actually do once it has loaded and is "In the Fight!!!"

Again big ups on your first mate.... Fingers crossed no having to wait another 40 before no. 2-100, are at your feet...

All Goody in the Hoody

Vic

Thanks Vic, Yep, my user name came about from my lack of ability in landing one of these suckers. Must change my user id to "Jack Expert" which is how I'd like to be known from now on or just JE will be fine :woohoo: .... My advice in my new found field of expertise would be to pick the spot you would least likely find a jack and have a cast around - 2ft of water on a sandbank with no (visible) structure,once hooked up hope like hell your years of knot tying experience is not lacking in the rig your using cause he's gonna go looking for the structure you can't see and hold on. Enjoy the ride!

Thanks tugger - should be good for a second one soon now I have it all sussed :P

Cheers!

JE :P

Archived