lights on the gateway bridge

billythakid

anyone know what the different coloured lights on the gateway bridge are for ?

have seen them green , red and blue . Today they were blue with a red strip moving through them . i am not sure if they are on both sides of the bridge but the ones i see are on the new side , heading up river from the mouth towards the city .

someone mentioned something about the tides for the ships to navigate by ????

Could be wrong but they sound like the navigation and lead lights you are talking about. Red and green for standard navigation and the blue leads which you line up to lead you into port.

Ooooops just read the whole span part :blush: just decoration then.

Blue lights are also used to notify container ships of land mass,one example of this is at the swing basin (luggage point) at the brisbane river mouth.There are 27 different types of beacons i think by memory,all different flash codes.Those ships follow beacons into the brisbane river kilometres before even entering the mouth.They pass the first "measured mile" beacon in the bay and line it up directly ahead of them with the next "measured mile" beacon,both flash white.They do this as a marker to approach the shipping channel correctly,if they are completley in line with both beacon marks they will enter the channel straight down the line.Also you'll notice that the shipping channel markers will all flash when a large ship approaches or is in transit,when there is no traffic the lights used are minimal.Also there is a "quarantine zone" north of mud.Ships carrying oil,petrol etc stay stationary in this area and are drained by port of brisbane ships.Im not 100 percent why the reason is but it might be to do with terrorism or the danger of entering port with a huge mass of flammable and hazardous chemical.Hope this is of help,a bit of useful information i learnt while studying QB&F and marine navigation earlier this year at tafe.

Thats just an anchorage north of mud and all oil and chemical loading and discharge is done at the wharfs in the river

The blue lights are lead lights at night to show where the midlle of the channel is and you will have white lights in some places during the day for lead lights where you have one over the top of the other 1 you are right in the middle of the channel

Thats just an anchorage north of mud and all oil and chemical loading and discharge is done at the wharfs in the river

The blue lights are lead lights at night to show where the midlle of the channel is and you will have white lights in some places during the day for lead lights where you have one over the top of the other 1 you are right in the middle of the channel

the 2 blue lights at luggage point are on land...

yeah but they are still lead lights you line up 1 over the other from a distance to give you the middle of the channel

the 2 blue lights at luggage point are on land...

Bunkering is refering to taking on fuel to run the ship not doing cargo i only know this as i've worked on cargo ships and tugs for the last 26yrs and it all becomes 2nd nature

>http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/~/media/dd93d577-5825-4885-be7e-8fb58d5f468d/pdf_brisbane_ppm_sect11.pdf

Page 70-71 talks about the exceptions of hazardous liquids in "Bunkering in Moreton Bay procedures ",its pretty brief but you can kinda see what im talking about.Mind you those procedures also are talking about berthed transfers as well.

Anyone know where I could do a "navigation for dummies" course? I am one of those people that got a boat/ski licence back in the 70s where all you needed were a few largies of beer, a $20 note and the ability to do a figure eight and return to the ramp. I have the basics, but would like to be more knowledgeable so that I be safer in unknown areas.

Anyone know where I could do a "navigation for dummies" course? I am one of those people that got a boat/ski licence back in the 70s where all you needed were a few largies of beer, a $20 note and the ability to do a figure eight and return to the ramp. I have the basics, but would like to be more knowledgeable so that I be safer in unknown areas.

licence is the same just the $20 is now $150ish . you would be better off buying a beacon to beacon and reading the navigation bit in there

maritme safety qld website would cover the basics

Steve,

MSQ (I think) puts out an annual publication with the tides listed. The front of the book is devoted to explaining navigation on the water and also how to read the weather.

I can't think of the name of it at the moment but they have them at the larger post offices for roughly $10. Well worth buying.

I passed mine in the public bar of the Manly Hotel pervin on the topless barmaid.

Could hardly walk afterwards cant remember what from. :blush:

Cheers

Ray

I got mine in a government office block about 50km from any water way at all about 20 years ago. I answered the 20 questions on the paper, got sent back to 'have another look' at question 17 and presto.... 20 out of 20 and here sir is your new licence.

Taught boating and navigation in Sydney before moving up here and welcome anyone who wants to come out with me on the water anyday and will pass on some info.

Do a bit of navigation, bit of manouvering, bit of docking etc etc.....

Steve,

MSQ (I think) puts out an annual publication with the tides listed. The front of the book is devoted to explaining navigation on the water and also how to read the weather.

I can't think of the name of it at the moment but they have them at the larger post offices for roughly $10. Well worth buying.

I think the book referred to may be "The Official Tables & Boating Safety Guide 2011(etc)"

Archived