my new project

RyanG45

hey all

finally got my grandads boat to do up and get ready for the brc, its a 50 year old bondwood boat 13 feet with a 1989 tohatsu 18 thats still running like new, needs a bit of work but will get there eventually. it pretty well setted out for fishing comes with a good hummingbird sounder. cant wait to get it in the water any tips or hints that might help me would be great.

post-7369-14459870961_thumb.jpg

post-7369-144598709548_thumb.jpg

post-7369-144598709561_thumb.jpg

post-7369-14459870957_thumb.jpg

post-7369-14459870958_thumb.jpg

post-7369-144598709589_thumb.jpg

post-7369-144598709599_thumb.jpg

cheers ryan

hey all

it pretty well setted out for fishing comes with a good hummingbird sounder. cant wait to get it in the water any tips or hints that might help me would be great.

My first hint would be to get it ON the water, not IN the water lol, that be the best aim :lol:

I'd probably fill it with water and let it sit for the day, just to make sure its tight and no leaks. I don't know much about outboards mate apart from the milky oil :unsure:

Looks like a good old boat, plenty of casting room.

i know it will leak a little bit until it expands as all timber boats do there is a bilge and has never leaked badly at all, am going for a quick run tomoz at shultz to see how it goes, thats for the fresh water tip i knew it wasnt good for it, it is structurally good, little thing to do here and there but hopefully get it ready and going good. motor starts up fine a little puf of blue smoke but thats what all two strokes do, the tell tail you could drink no oil leaks or anything motor is like new for its age

she went all good in the run today, came home fixed the wiring up as some had broken, 18.5 knots was pretty happy with that, only about half a liter of water but most of that was when we were reversing into the waves came over the transom happy with the overall performance :)

after having a long chat with dad and one of his mates they suggested that i just use it as is for the BRC and then do a proper job fixing it up after the BRC is over, because they said i should dinel it and replace some of the ply and said its to big of a job to get done before BRC.

after having a long chat with dad and one of his mates they suggested that i just use it as is for the BRC and then do a proper job fixing it up after the BRC is over, because they said i should dinel it and replace some of the ply and said its to big of a job to get done before BRC.

wasnt that wat i said ryan Hmmm i think it is :whistle: ohh and if a remember when i said it you and joel were like ohh that stupid idea y would we do that its easy to fix :whistle: :kiss:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

finally got both sides sanded ready for paint sticking with the same color a light blue so i will have the outside done for the BRC :) just gotta sus out some fishing spots if the weather is bad

post-7369-144598721385_thumb.jpg

post-7369-144598721396_thumb.jpg

post-7369-144598721405_thumb.jpg

also my job of patching up the dry rot treated the wood so it wont go any further and replace the rotten ply :) and all screw wholes and cracks everything filled with epoxy bog, just gotta wait till after the BRC to do the inside :)

cheers ryan

Archived