'STATUS ENQUIRY"

hokianga

who cares.... as long as ya keep posting stuff up its all good hey

That parts no prob at all I love posting...Just want to know when I'm going to get out of the nappy rash stage... Like your user name bud from one newbie to another I'll add you as a friend then we can find out together...

Just think of something you want to say in every thread then copy and paste it, I hear that's a good way to do it :whistle:

Maybe I should add to that and not simply be a smart a$$.

I reckon status doesn't make an iota of difference and I don't really think it is a good way to compare peoples contribution to the site. As long as you get along to a few events and meet some other members, post up your reports when you can and contribute to the forum in a friendly and helpful manner then other members will give you respect regardless of whether you are a newbie or vip.

Yeah mate I think you're better off giving advice when you can, ask questions when necessary and give congrats when you think it's necessary, but best of all, POST REPORTS.

Would rather see someone who has 45 posts, which include 15 reports and 10 questions and 20 answers to others questions, rather than 1500 'congratulatory' messages. That said, if someone has a ripper session, let them know you think so!

I wouldn't worry about it at all Hoki. The folks on this site are overall more than helpful with advice and offers. I probably had a total of 30 posts when Madmullet let me come with him for a sharking session; heck, he even drove over and picked me up.

Post reports, let people know when you are going out for a fish if you are keen for company, etc. The number of posts somebody has doesn't necessarily mean they know what they are talking about ;)

Yeah you can laugh Kurt,

your a 2516 posting addict... Sooooooo can you tell me or am I going to have the p*ss taken, until my b*lls drop...(lol)

i dont do it for numbers mate. yes i have donemy far share of good sesh ect, but i have done alot of reports and creating events ect and i think i have been a great deal of help due to all the p.ms i get for a cry of help.

mate if it means so much to you i think its 100....but i dont really no....

and i aint taken the piss out of you vik....

Yeah mate just because you haven't racked up hundreds of posts won't stop you from being able to attend events etc.

Took me something like 4 and a bit years of being on this site to go for a fish with anyone else from here, and another 6 months to attend my first AFO event (Winter camp)

But there are plenty who attend events after having only been on the site a matter of weeks - come one come all!

Not worth worrying about what ranking you have, if you're able to catch fish and not crow about it to all and sundry as some do , probably ego based, then to hell wth the inference of lack of experience by being called "status whatever". I'm "status junior" and couldnot care less cos I'm nearly 80, been fishing since I was 4, have caught and released black marlin to 700 lbs off Cairns, caught many double figure trout on fly in many parts of this world, barra, toga, tuna, snapper, whiting,thousands of bass, yellas you name it but I dont need to crow about it cos I know I've done it. I'll probably still be a junior when I eventually snuff it. :cheer: :cheer:

Not worth worrying about what ranking you have, if you're able to catch fish and not crow about it to all and sundry as some do , probably ego based, then to hell wth the inference of lack of experience by being called "status whatever". I'm "status junior" and couldnot care less cos I'm nearly 80, been fishing since I was 4, have caught and released black marlin to 700 lbs off Cairns, caught many double figure trout on fly in many parts of this world, barra, toga, tuna, snapper, whiting,thousands of bass, yellas you name it but I dont need to crow about it cos I know I've done it. I'll probably still be a junior when I eventually snuff it. :cheer: :cheer:

Love it mate.... EXACTLY !!! I hope I'm still able to get out of bed at 80 let alone fish....

Hi Wally,

Now that's telling it like it is!!!... Nearly 80, Wow I hope I look half as good as you at that age...

Getting there for me is going to be a bit of a mission, but I'm working on it.. Like you I have fished from the age where my grandad taught me the bait was meant to go on the hook and not in my mouth... Terrifying sessions they were to, 60lb hand line, 20-30lb snaps in 10-12ft of water...right on top of pipi and mussel beds, for the first three or four outings, I was too scared to hold the line because for a 6yr old these things were like Loch Ness monsters... Once these brutes hit, holding a line in your hand was the last thing you wanted to do... He was a bit of a hard old bugger to, you know a crate of tall ones in the bottom of the tinny, little seagull motor with the pull cord... And more often then not we would go outside the Bar/Harbour entrance into this... Thanks again for the reality check...

post-9426-144598710514_thumb.jpg

Alot of the guys on AFO who have been here for a while notice when people just spam the forum with fake congrats and whatnot. I'm all for congratulations, but nothing should be posted to raise a post count... It's terribly annoying.

No-one thinks any less of the newer members and besaids, they're gonna know if you're a new member no matter what the post count is. (it says the date you joined on your profile :P )

I'm with Jords, reports are the way to go. That and attending events.

Just think of something you want to say in every thread then copy and paste it, I hear that's a good way to do it :whistle:

hahaha, don't know about you, but i really hate it when i see close to the same message by the same person on almost every post just to boost up the counters, to me it kinda devalues that person and makes me just skip what ever they say.

Thanks gentlemen for your responses. I forgot I posted this topic... Still got the Wave Break Wobbles... :silly: :silly:

Just getting back to the Wallyfly post...

Wally I personally, I hope you don't mind me saying this, would love you to post some of your stories so that we can picture how you felt and what you saw, how it was when you could get the size of fish I know you got... I would even go so far as to say, the sorts of fish we guys catch these days and label...."Catch of a Lifetime".....Would have been in the everyday category, those few moons ago...

Maybe, even set up a new category and call it.... I don't know....

"When men were meaner and fish were keener"

Just a thought ;););)

Cheers Vic

Thats exactly it Lance,

After reading your thread, its as though I read your post and poached it....Must be that great minds thing I reckon....

I'm definitely not trying to be a smart arse, Lance, your talking about the 80'ish's......Which I am not disputing was a friggin fabulous time to Man Up....OBVIOUSLY!!!... Can you imagine what Wally would have seen in the 40's or 50's... He talks about not blowing your trumpet when you know what you've done, but how can we let a generation like that, who have seen and experienced things we could not even imagine, have their chance to tell us of how it is supposed to be, or how it was... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: ....

I think, it'd be an absolute beaut, having a category not just a thread, focusing on this topic, that way there is no chance of anyone forgetting...

The reason I say it, not being selfish and not wanting to upset anyone either...

Last year I went back to NZ for my grandmothers funeral, she was fluent in the Maori language, knew everything about our heritage, the area, the people in it, everything....

She was 89 and there were four generations of her family there, to mourn our loss but also to celebrate her life with us...

The messed up thing being....

From her children right down to her, great grand children, not one of us could understand, or had any idea of what her life was about, her stature in the community, the stories that were always there to be told but no one asked for...

Wally I believe, you are a plethora of knowledge, and I for one would like to say...."I'm asking"

I definately have to agree with you there mate... At the end of the day it's just spamming

Alot of the guys on AFO who have been here for a while notice when people just spam the forum with fake congrats and whatnot. I'm all for congratulations, but nothing should be posted to raise a post count... It's terribly annoying.

No-one thinks any less of the newer members and besaids, they're gonna know if you're a new member no matter what the post count is. (it says the date you joined on your profile :P )

I'm with Jords, reports are the way to go. That and attending events.

Gidday Bi-polar,

thanks for your imput mate, I think I can honestly say, I'm not a spammer :unsure::unsure: , if I intend to open my mouth or post anything, I do it because I have something to say of the genuine nature :whistle: :whistle: ... I think our mate Kane (young fella) after meeting me, knows I'm a pretty good guy....I hope, he does anyway??? :unsure::unsure:

Thanks again

Vic

Gidday Bi-polar,

thanks for your imput mate, I think I can honestly say, I'm not a spammer :unsure::unsure: , if I intend to open my mouth or post anything, I do it because I have something to say of the genuine nature :whistle: :whistle: ... I think our mate Kane (young fella) after meeting me, knows I'm a pretty good guy....I hope, he does anyway??? :unsure::unsure:

Thanks again

Vic

Chyeah ya are! :lol:

I've never met anyone so keen on learning the great art of fishing and he even gave me a sandwhich :woohoo: . Top member in my books. ;)

Archived