Any good fishing spots at Cleveland?

viperon1982

Mate has one of the waterfront houses at Raby Bay and has invited me over for a fish. He's a newbie to it, and is on his way to becoming HOOKED-FOR-LIFE thanks to me, haha!

But since he's new to it and I have never been to that area, any ideas on a good place to fish around? I've done my research on google earth and my trusty old street directory. Here's a list of the places where I thought mite be promising:

1. Mouth of Endeavour Canal

2. Mouth of Ross Canal

3. Cleveland Point

4. Oyster Point

We're gonna be landbased, mate's dad has a yacht but it's undergoing maintenance, shucks! Would anyone care to point out a good place to start off? I noticed on google earth that the areas around Cleveland Point and Oyster Point are pretty shallow, are they sandflats or rocks?

We're targeting pretty much anything and I'll be bringing my arsenal of 4 rods (1 light, 2 general purpose, 1 heavy duty boat rod). Oh and not to forget my castnet too! I'm prob wasting my time bringing the 1 piece boat rod but hey, u'll never know eh? I'm still awaiting my first shark or a 1m wide stingray!

Post edited by: viperon1982, at: 2007/07/07 12:24

I have caught good tailor at the mouth of the two canals unwighted pillies have accounted for most fish with the odd squire and nice size bream being caught, but at this time of year the tailor should be coming in at the top of the tide.

Good luck

Aaron H wrote:

I have caught good tailor at the mouth of the two canals unwighted pillies have accounted for most fish with the odd squire and nice size bream being caught, but at this time of year the tailor should be coming in at the top of the tide.

Good luck

Thanks Aaron! Will try the canals then! Any tips on hooks and rigs?

hey bro if you go out to cleveland point,go to the end of the jetty and cast to straight out to the left youll pick up some snapper. but you need a surfcaster .youve got to cast out bout 50mt or so to catch them.2hrs before high tide best.hey we mite have to hook up one nite and go fishing .i like nite fishing thats wen the big fish come out.

snoopdoggie wrote:

hey bro if you go out to cleveland point,go to the end of the jetty and cast to straight out to the left youll pick up some snapper. but you need a surfcaster .youve got to cast out bout 50mt or so to catch them.2hrs before high tide best.hey we mite have to hook up one nite and go fishing .i like nite fishing thats wen the big fish come out.

Hey dude! Sorry, we went last week. It was horrid, cold and windy and ZERO bites at one of the canal mouths. We'll definitely try Cleveland Point some other time! You stay around there?

Archived