Opinions from Boaties about Ramp Parking.

billp

I have seen quite a few topics how boaties get a bit agro when a car parks in a trailor spot. At Most ramps this type of behavour is fined to try and prevent it.

However at Wello yesterday with every person in Brisbane with a water craft was out (nearly got run over 4 times in the yak, it was crazy), the boaties started using the car allocated spots, do you think this should be fineable?

If it is signed "car only", then yes they should fine someone if they park a trailer there.

From a boatie's point of view it is really difficult to find 2 normal spaces in a row to park a boat and trailer at some spots if al the trailer spots are full. And the real problems comes from when you have to park a fair distance from the ramp, and leave your boat and gear "out of sight" at the ramp as you retrieve your trailer. Okay if you are fishing with someone, but a real problem if fishing alone.

The ramps at Talley creek suffer from this problem (especially in Summer) and unless I start before first light so I can guarantee a park I don't bother going at all.

Not 100% sure but isn't some of our boat rego ment to go towards boat ramps & car parks for our boat trailers, if so then only cars with boat trailers should park in them. even at d/rocks boat ramp there got there own car park for the park, but people park in the trailer spots because there closer. :angry:

p.s yes i think they should be fined & or towed away.

i had a bit of boat ramp rage on Tuesday arvo!

Boat Ramp behaviour is some of the worst behaviour I have seen ever!! On Tuesday Raby Bay boat ramp was a mad house. Most people were doing the correct thing pulling up closest to the VMR building and waiting their turn but there is always one idiot.

After a long wait my missus was reversing the trailer down (she actually knows what she is doing!) I was in the boat, all of a sudden a guy with a huge 7m boat cut the line and started to reverse into the spot my missus was going to take nearly hitting my Pathfinder in the process. It was only down to my missus planting her hand on the hooter and screaming did his mate stop him hitting our vehicle!!!

The said prick then starts to abuse an 8 month pregnant woman sticking his finger in her face!!

I watched this unravel from the helm, so I belted in pulling up on the sand, hopped out and OMG was 1mm away from getting into a full on fisty cuff. This skinny liitle idiot then runs away and hides in his landcruiser and won't get out. Gutless prick! Even one of the guys from the VMR came over as he watched the whole situation unravel and he backed us up.

I am one of the most laid back guys ever but this was just not needed.

As mentioned most people do the correct thing and actually help out if someone is struggeling.

The crazy season is upon us so lets just slow down, be patient and nice to each other.

Batty

I've been fined for parking in a trailer spot with the ute. Normally I wouldn't do it but all the car spots were taken and I had no where else to park. Don't know, I think if you are using the ramp(boat, kayak, canoe, jet ski) then perhaps a bit of leniancy should be shown if no other parks are available but I can see why boaties would get upset if it is just a car parked there. Same deal boaters in regular spots. Anyone just pulling up for a fish and parked in the wrong spot should be fined as they are not actually using the ramp.

If you have a trailor park in the trailor bay, If there are no parks get up earlier next time.

If you have a canoe or yak why are you at a ramp anyway? These vessels don't need a ramp.

If you are fishing out of a car, Don't be a lazy bum! Park in the proper car parks, Make a trolley or something?

Common sense people please FGS :dry:

Cam

i had a bit of boat ramp rage on Tuesday arvo!

Boat Ramp behaviour is some of the worst behaviour I have seen ever!! On Tuesday Raby Bay boat ramp was a mad house. Most people were doing the correct thing pulling up closest to the VMR building and waiting their turn but there is always one idiot.

After a long wait my missus was reversing the trailer down (she actually knows what she is doing!) I was in the boat, all of a sudden a guy with a huge 7m boat cut the line and started to reverse into the spot my missus was going to take nearly hitting my Pathfinder in the process. It was only down to my missus planting her hand on the hooter and screaming did his mate stop him hitting our vehicle!!!

The said prick then starts to abuse an 8 month pregnant woman sticking his finger in her face!!

I watched this unravel from the helm, so I belted in pulling up on the sand, hopped out and OMG was 1mm away from getting into a full on fisty cuff. This skinny liitle idiot then runs away and hides in his landcruiser and won't get out. Gutless prick! Even one of the guys from the VMR came over as he watched the whole situation unravel and he backed us up.

I am one of the most laid back guys ever but this was just not needed.

As mentioned most people do the correct thing and actually help out if someone is struggeling.

The crazy season is upon us so lets just slow down, be patient and nice to each other.

Batty

Good on ya mate, it's idiots like this who just stuff up a good day out on the water. don't know if it's a good thing or bad thing that you didn't drop him. but hopfuly what you done will make him think twice next time befor being a $#%&@%$ :angry:

It seems the same the world over! I remember a time in Nebraska when we took the boat out for a day on the lake. There are a lot more spaces available there though because you tend to have a much higher concentration of crafts on the water (and they tend to drive bigger vehicles there :lol: ). The larger lakes and the river ramps tend to be wide enough for 2 boats to launch at once.

But, back to the story.... After arriving early in the morning to do some fishing and spending the afternoon on the tube, wakeboard, and kneeboard, we decide to pull the boat out and get moving back home. I tie the boat up to the dock and head back to our parking space to find this.

post-9342-144598733929_thumb.jpg

Mine is on the right.

My wife was roaring mad and ready to have a tire slashing party :silly: . We decided instead to just take a couple of pictures, get his rego, and deal with it later.

I have to admit, the guy turned out to be a good bloke. He wandered up as we were taking pictures. He had apparently just launched his boat and claimed that his girlfriend parked the truck and he was running back up because she forgot something :lol::lol: . (I think she ran down to the launch to let him know that she had munched somebody's trailer).

He helped me physically lift his off of mine, then gave me all of his details to send him a bill for the damage.

Moral of the story is that sometimes people just aren't familiar with either etiquette or how to do something. If I'd have been in the mood, I'm sure it could have turned into a nasty situation but a few deep breaths makes a lot of things seem less bad :D

If you have a trailor park in the trailor bay, If there are no parks get up earlier next time.

If you have a canoe or yak why are you at a ramp anyway? These vessels don't need a ramp.

If you are fishing out of a car, Don't be a lazy bum! Park in the proper car parks, Make a trolley or something?

Cam

The trouble with common sense is, it's not that common!!!!

i'm going to put my hand up and say that i occasionally park my ute in a trailer spot, but always at the furthest corner of the carpark away from the ramp and not ever on a busy day. i only do this when it is unavoidable (or too long a walk from a legal spot to park the car) and i know that i run the risk of copping a fine and if i do i'll pay it no arguments.

but why can't boat ramps also cater for cars? maybe just put 1 row of car spots at the very back of the ramp parking or put some car spots on the street within a reasonable distance of the ramp?

i also get the shits with cars parked in the trailer spots when i do borrow dads boat and there are no spots for me to park! but without increasing rego to pay for more parking inspectors, or paying for a carpark attendant/boom gate or something like that to stop cars without trailers getting in then there's nothing we can really do.

Cam

The trouble with common sense is, it's not that common!!!!

the trouble with simplistic opinions is, it`s not always common sense

Cam

I'm afraid it's people like you that spoil the atmosphere around boat ramps, as covered on this forum on a previous Thread by plastic_fantastic the general view on kayaks using boat ramps is that there more than welcome to use ramps provided they use the same etiquette as boaties and wait their turn!!!!!! :evil:

Cam

I'm afraid it's people like you that spoil the atmosphere around boat ramps, as covered on this forum on a previous Thread by plastic_fantastic the general view on kayaks using boat ramps is that there more than welcome to use ramps provided they use the same etiquette as boaties and wait their turn!!!!!! :evil:

Never said they wernt welcome just said they don't need to use them, The parks are designed for trailors not cars, want to be a smart alec? Take your yak to the ramp on a trailor :P :dry: hahaha

To many people like to fly off into space with there wonderfull and crazy notions but seriously like I said common sense FGS people!

Boat ramps are there for all types of water craft that needs access to that waterway.

That includes boats,jet skis,kayaks,canoes and inflatable boats.

The notion of anyone having to use the side of a ramp because they don't have a boat or whether they need to use a ramp or not is irrelevant as they are as entitled to use the ramp as much as any boat is.

Cam

Never said they wernt welcome just said they don't need to use them, The parks are designed for trailors not cars, want to be a smart alec? Take your yak to the ramp on a trailor :P :dry: hahaha

To many people like to fly off into space with there wonderfull and crazy notions but seriously like I said common sense FGS people!

Oh and to add to your comment on " people like me ruining ramp atmosphere"

I don't like to brag but I left my pots out on the other side of the pine from Dohles Rocks ramp and litteraly watched my pots getting plucked as I was launching this morning to collect them when a bloke asked me for a quick tow to get his busted boat.

I chose to help the man even though I could have gone and skull {expletive deleted} these "upper class thieves in there $50k+ boat"

So don't give me this crap about people like me mate!

Boat ramps are there for all types of water craft that needs access to that waterway.

That includes boats,jet skis,kayaks,canoes and inflatable boats.

The notion of anyone having to use the side of a ramp because they don't have a boat or whether they need to use a ramp or not is irrelevant as they are as entitled to use the ramp as much as any boat is.

I believe this debate is about parking not ramps ;)

Cam

Common sense people please FFS :dry:

Cam

It is about parking at a ramp but my answer was in response to your question.

Common sense people please FFS :dry:

Cam

It is about parking at a ramp but my answer was in response to your question.

Ok to elaborate what I'm saying is these craft don't need a ramp to access the water so why should they need parks close to the ramp anymore than boaties need extra parks, most yakkers have trollies and all ramps have some car parks anyway which brings me back to the begining,

If you can't get a park, go somewhere else, get up earlier next time, Don't use boaties trailor parks.

Trailors in trailor parks

Cars in car parks

Far out I can not even believe there is any argument on this mater it's COMMON SENSE.

Cam

I'm done.....

Some interesting comments for sure. Being a yak owner 90% of the time I try and stay away from boat ramps myself for exactly the reasons being bought up, however sometimes like at Wello we have to use the ramps as well, but I would never take a trailor park instead of walking an extra 50m.

I guess but there are always those select few, "special" people out there that will do what they want.

Anyway, hope these bloody Macks show up soon so I can start beach launching again, that way I won't have to go near a ramp for a few months. ;) .

Interesting thread here and similar stuff has has been covered a few times before and due to human nature i am sure it will raise its ugly head again.

Read some great double standards in the posts too like this one. Whats to say the trailer wasnt there first forcing the car out, shouldnt the car get off?

they should fine both but if there is a car in a trailer spot then the boatie in the car spot should be let off

And this one.... A ute parked in a trailer spot and using the ramp with a yak to a boater is 'just a car parked there'. Trailers can be wide and long and require a longer spot to park in. Thats why there are spots set aside for them, and thats why the owner pays $85 upwards a year to have it on the road and park it in designated spots.

I've been fined for parking in a trailer spot with the ute. Normally I wouldn't do it but all the car spots were taken and I had no where else to park. Don't know, I think if you are using the ramp(boat, kayak, canoe, jet ski) then perhaps a bit of leniancy should be shown if no other parks are available but I can see why boaties would get upset if it is just a car parked there

hmmm what if I have a box trailer for my might Pro Angler because it is too heavy to lift on to the roof of the Patrol, as I am a short a**........ am I able to use the trailer spot ?

and before anyone mentions it..... i know in my sig, the PA is on the roof, but it is an absolute nightmare to attempt to get it back up there after a day on the water...... easy enough to do at home etc, but not at the ramp.......

hmmm what if I have a box trailer for my might Pro Angler because it is too heavy to lift on to the roof of the Patrol, as I am a short a**........ am I able to use the trailer spot ?

sure can. thats what I do when my lads and I take our yaks out together

Cam

as it happens yaks arnt welcomed on to boat ramps and it is in fact illeagall to use them i had it pointed out to me that ramps are actually there only for registerd boats and it is illegal to launch an unregisterd boat at one . this has put me in a quandry with my leccie powerd tinny that i cant launch at my locall ramp any more :(

Archived