Sand Pumping Jetty - 10 July 2007

username_taken

In search for an idiot proof fishing session after a few non-events I decided to try out the sand pumping jetty.

I arrived at 9am (ish) with SP rig, and my estuary rod in tow. I quickly realise the swell was way too big to even think about doing anything with SP, so concentrated on my estuary gear. Unfortunately neither squid or pilchards were in high demand so I wasn't having much luck.

An hour or so later people started to filter in, and very soon there was a reasonable crowd ( I'd hate to see it on a weekend or during school holidays ) Everybody around me was pulling up fish after fish, while I had nothing.

I got chatting to a group of young kids who were doing well, and they were using those prepackaged jigging rigs with bits of prawns on the hooks. They were consistently catching Dart and Bream with the occasional Trevally and a barely legal Taylor.

I found a jigger packet hidden deep in my bag of goodies and hooked it up to my SP rig and attached some squid bits to it. First drop down I pulled up a dart ( first fish on my SP rig, so I took a photo anyway ). Switched the jig onto my estuary rod as swell/current was too much for the sinker size the light SP gear could comfortably hold.

I ended up with 4 keepers, a Trevally ( what sort? ) and 3 Bream. Not too bad, but next time I'll go better prepared with prawns and a more suitable rod.

The amount of Dart being caught was unbelievable, I hate the mongrels, pretty ordinary chewing, and take your bait before any decent fish can get to them.

One of the guys got three fish on one jig, a keeper bream, and 2 little fish which I haven't seen before, they were black with a couple of white stripes and the body streamlined down to the tail, making it's rear end look kind of eel'ish ( but not really ) they were both about the length of my middle finger. Maybe Bonito? I was tempted to ask for one to throw on as live bait.

Dart

DSC02860.JPG

Keepers

DSC02861.JPG

Post edited by: username_taken, at: 2007/07/10 20:45

Down the goldcoast, head down to southport, across the river then turn up Seaworld drive, and drive right to the end. it's right there. costs $3.50 to fish off it. I wouldn't go during a weekend or school holidays though, I reckon it'd be a carpark on the jetty.

google maps link

on the above google map, it's just under the rockwall at the spit, probably about where the hollow rectangle is.

Post edited by: username_taken, at: 2007/07/10 22:59

Archived