In car GPS ??

rayke1938

Brought missus new garmin nuvi 1450t for xmas and having problems with the speed limits on the mapping.

for example . Boundary Road between Victoria point and thornlands has had a posted speed limit of 80kph for over 3 years. Garmin says 60.

About a 1k section of Redland Bay RD at Capalaba has posted limit of 70. Garmin says 80.

On 90 kph zone at Nudgee on the gateway the garmin says 100 yet tells you that there is a 90kph speed camera there.

I have a $69 ebay cheepy from china and it to says 60kph on Boundary road but is ok elsewhere.

I am considering taking the garmin back and asking for a refund.

Would I be better off with a tom tom or navman?

The only reason I got the garmin is that it comes with a lifetime mapping update which now seems useless when it is rs from the start.

Cheers

Ray

I would not rely on the speed limit on the gps. Council can change them at any time. Mine is 4yo and the limits haven't changed that much really. The actual roads will be different by next year.

Most of the maps are produced from department of roads plans? Thats why sometimes there are slight differences in the in the mapping ie roundabout where the has not been one for ages or a completley different on/off ramp then on the gps. Apparentley they also have on record the speed zones.

Now something that was told to me a while ago but don't know how much truth there is to it or if it was only in certain states. If you get a speeding fine there is a government site that you can check to see if the speed sign is a correctly documented/authorised/approved etc speen zone. Now say if the sign says 60, site says 80 and you were clocked doing 65 you could get off the charge due to them not correctly authorising the zone.

It is probably an old wives tale but you never know, we can always dream lol

BJ

We are heading off down south in February and some of the speed limit signs in small towns are very easy to miss and dont wish to get pinged.

Cheers

Ray

They now have bucket loads of point to point cameras too that seemed to go through multiple different speed zones. Pretty hard to keep track of.

Ray i have a navman, it works but is very slow in responding and very annoying. It would tell me to turn and would only give me 15metres notice. Not much notice when your goin 60k per hour. Another friend also has a newer model navman and same issue.

I was driving in Sydney city when i picked up the new car last year. Followed my navman gps which took us around in circles literally for 2 hours. Eventually took a risk, switched off the gps and finally found my way back to the correct road to brisbane.

Whereas, a few other mates use tom tom and they are extremely happy with it. Ample notice for turn offs. I will be switching over to tom tom soon. Few other feedback i have heard is that Tom Tom is the way to go.. Bit hexy but it gives free lifetime map updates apparantly.

cheers

I've a Navman. Recently updated the software so it'll be interesting to see if the speed limits have been updated too. There are a lot of spots along the Gateway where it used to have the wrong speed limit data.

In the end I think it is best to just get the one with the Billy Connolly voice.....the Navman woman is annoying as they get.

Ray I use a Tomtom and quite like the system. "Most" of the current ones currently have an offer of 3 years of map updates, but don't know if that is going to be a permanent feature of the brand. I picked up a 5" unit with 3 years of maps for $149 in the boxing day sales to replace the old 4" Tomtom I have had for years.

Tomtom have a feature called "Map Share" where uses can report/flag errors in maps and then when they next sync on their computer it is shared with other uses. This can help remove some errors with things like speed signs etc, but honestly it could go the other way too (users add errors). This is an opt in feature though; you aren't forced to use it.

I normally find they are pretty good with speed signs, but even around Brisbane you still come across areas that are wrong. I think it is more due to constantly changed speed limits with road works.

Archived