Pike exchange rate

wesfish

Gday

Lately a mate and i have been hitting the bay and chasing what ever will hit plastics around mud, last weekend i decided a pair of pike we caught should be stripped up and fished over the shallows unweighted. This has paid off for a few nice snaps, grassies and mega blue catfish on light spin gear. last weekend we exchanged 2 pike for 4 keeper snaps, 5 just under grassies, 4 blue catties and 3 lil sharks. not a bad exchange rate at all :lol:

Yesterday was a fluke to not have the kids so i could hit the bay again, we set off from the ramp at 5:30am and headed over to mud, the pike kept falling off the plastics so i got a bait jig out and the pike started hitting the floor. once again we stripped the pike into lil pieces and done a repeat of the weekend before, my mate was onto a few grassies with some better sized ones hitting the esky, i managed a tailor and a keeper snap and my mate managed a nice mud snap going 52cm. a blue cattie decided to hit my 10lb spin gear and provide me with a sore wrist again..

some people think of pike as pest but i see them as something i can trade for better quality fish. it has such a good exchange rate going :silly:

post-4300-144598758261_thumb.jpg

post-4300-144598758268_thumb.jpg

post-4300-144598758273_thumb.jpg

post-4300-144598758277_thumb.jpg

post-4300-144598758282_thumb.jpg

post-4300-144598758287_thumb.jpg

post-4300-144598758291_thumb.jpg

post-4300-144598758611_thumb.jpg

Nice catch there Wes. we went out saturday and got a few snap on plastics biggest going just under 50. Too lazy to keep any. Nice day out. will probably see you some time today.

Mike

cheers, did not see ya, old mate said you in meeting or something like that, i thought it must have been to hot to handle steel for you :silly: :P

nice wes! did very well.. we only manged some grassies and small squaire.

What rig did u have for the pike? just a hook and chuck it on the drop offs?

snelled 2/0 hooks 20lb leader swivel to main 10lb braid, not fishing drop offs this time drifting baits over 1.6-2mtrs water depths..

I've never tried catching pike on a bait jig. Do you get them near the beacons or anywhere in particular?
they are suckers for bait jigs i use the cheap 2-3 dollar ones in the medium to large size jigs, you can find pike from the mouth of the river, around the beacons or anywhere around mud in the waters around 3 mtrs..

Archived