Kayak anchor options

brandan1034

The small anchor Lance posted a pic of is perfect. If you have an anchor trolley on your yak then a clip on the end so you can clip it on. I attached a float about 2 metres along so i could unclip, fight the huge fish succesfully, and then paddle back and clip on.

I never got a reason to unclip it though :-(

The small anchor Lance posted a pic of is perfect. If you have an anchor trolley on your yak then a clip on the end so you can clip it on. I attached a float about 2 metres along so i could unclip, fight the huge fish succesfully, and then paddle back and clip on.

I never got a reason to unclip it though :-(

lol,thats funny.

Tie on an old metal garbage tin lid if you have some current flowing through and drop it overboard.

That will give you an hour or two solid fight that you can chase :P:P:P:P

You dont need an anchor trolley, just a floating rope. Easy enough to paddle upstream a couple of paddle strokes to reach the rope and pull it in.

2kg plastic coated dumbbell flogged from the missus pile of disused exercise equipment is easiest, otherwise whitworths or bias do a small version of that folding anchor shown for about $14.

Remember if you wrap the cord around the anchor, you have to deploy all the cord to set the anchor. I used to use a "electric cord tidy" to wrap my cord around so I can just let out as much rope as I want to. I rarely carry an anchor these days.

I tried using one without a trolley, the result being broadside to whatever current/wind there was at the time. If I decide to get another one, I will rig up a trolley to it. I have also had dramas in reefy areas, with the anchor getting snagged, so I don't reckon I will be buying the expensive metal ones anymore.

Ryan.

here is a couple of pics of my setup I borrowed from KFDU

post-7578-144598778574_thumb.jpg

post-7578-144598778587_thumb.jpg

post-7578-144598778597_thumb.jpg

post-7578-144598778606_thumb.jpg

post-7578-144598778616_thumb.jpg

I have used it a couple of times to hold ground above some rapids so I can throw some lures at the head of the rapids and around some bridge pilons it works very well. It's also a good way to keep you anchor rope neat as well.

T Fisher that's a top notch looking set up. And on a mini-x as well! Im guessing that's a home made set up?

yes it is you can also unclip to chase a fish or get a snaged lure back and the pool noodle keeps it afloat so you can go back and connect up again.as I mentioned all the details on how to make are on KFDU

I tried using one without a trolley, the result being broadside to whatever current/wind there was at the time. If I decide to get another one, I will rig up a trolley to it. I have also had dramas in reefy areas, with the anchor getting snagged, so I don't reckon I will be buying the expensive metal ones anymore.

Ryan.

Ryan... have a look at TFishers set up. See the cable tie attached to the shaft end of the anchor with the line continuing to the 'crown' end. If you get snagged a good sharp tug will break the cable tie and then you can reverse the anchor out the way it went in.

All my anchors are set up this way and it works time and time again.

Get yourself a scotty anchor lock. Easy one handed use, self locking so you don't have to tie it offCan use either a dumbell in low current areas or I also have a small boat anchor that I use in the salt water when the tides are a bit bigger.

Here's a step by step install on a kayak.

/>http://www.fishnyak.com/adding-a-scotty-anchor-lock.html

Bloody brilliant and something I would never go without on a kayak again. I've even got it on my punt. Add an extra flushmount to the back if you want to anchor the other way. I like to face up current when fishing the fresh and face down current when fishing the salt.

Archived