What jig-head to use???

Hein

Heya,

Was wanting some help here. I own a Shinamo T-Curve 1-3kg spinning rod and have recently been chasing bream and flathead on plastics. On the rod itself, it says lure weight is 1-7 grams.

I was wondering what the heaviest jighead I can use on that was??? I usually don't go heavier then a 5 gram Squidgy jigheads (in about 2 metres of waters).

I wanted to try the TT brand of jigheads but have no idea on how to work out the conversions. eg: 1/8, 3/8 etc. Is a 1/4 TT jig head too heavy???

I have tried using unit convertors on Google and that but I just don't understand!!! :huh:

Can you guys clarify what :

1/8, 1/4, 3/8 is in grams???

Thanks in advance.

There are approximately 28 grams in an ounce. 1/8, 1/4, 3/8 means one eighth of an ounce, one quarte if an ounce, and three eighths of an ounce.

If you divide 28 grams into 8 - you get 3.5.

So 1/8th of an ounce = 3.5 grams.

1/4 of an ounce = 7 grams.

3/8 of an ounce = 10.5 grams.

With the t curve - they are pretty strong rods and you should be right chucking a 3/8th if you need to. I've found most rods can throw weights above their rating as long as you are careful with them.

hope this makes sense!

:)

The rod might be ok doing it...but thats way to heavy for bream in 2 mtrs of water

Try 1/16 and see how you go , flathead and bream will prefer a plastic that acts like a wounded bait than a brick...

I use 1/50 in water 2 mtrs or less around mangroves etc and with the weight of the plastic get great bream and flatty...

As the saying goes "lighten up"....!!!

1/16 I find as an awesome all rounder for bream and flatties. In 2 metres of water I would use 1/16 or 1/8 as a max. 1/4 is very heavy but this also depends on the current. Also, when you buy a pack of nitro jig heads, on the back of the packet has information of the jig head sizes and the sink rate in seconds per 60cm and how heavy in grams the jig head is. Good luck and hope this was a little help to you

Cheers

Anthony :)

^^ have a look at your line too... and your reel. Lighter line = further casts. Better quality line = further casts. 2000 sized reel casts further than 1000 sized reels in general.

If you go above the lure weight recommendations of your rod, just be mindful when casting. You can't just power cast with a heavier than recommended lure. You will snap the tip of your rod eventually.

Archived