Fly Club meeting for beginners

Nog

Hey all

I've noticed a few guys around the traps saying they either;

1. Just starting fly fishing but find the learning curve pretty rough without lessons

2. Like the idea but don't know where to start.

So I'm looking for interest from people who would like to come to a club night where we focus on the basics like

1. The right fly rod, line, reel, leader and flies for a range of situations.

2. Casting basics to get you on the water quicker, and

3. Fly fishing tactics, from Tilapia to Tuna

If you have any other ideas it would be great to hear them.

Cheers

Norm

I'd be really keen if it was on a monday or tuesday night.......the other nights aren't possible most weeks. I could see myself buying a fly rod and then realize afterwards that I bought completely the wrong gear. be cool to have a fly rod for winter camp too I reckon

I'd be keen to come along just not on a Tuesday night, also maybe if it were near some water even a large puddle because everything seems to go alright on the grass it's when you add water it goes pear shaped and that's when the help is needed, just a thought.

Cheers

Mark

I am definitely keen for this to and agree with Mark on the water concept. I have practised in the yard and on the street, with strange looks from the neighbours lol, but when it comes to the water its a different ball game. Also it would be good to get my head around the knots and leaders etc used it the setup :) Thanks for taking the time to try and organise something B)

Good one Nog, what about a fly tying social for the guys that are on this site.

Get them all to throw in a few bucks each for materials and show them the basics like clousers, decievers, surf candies etc. Get them all do a bit of tying.

I know what you mean Mark and KeenAs. Once that big heavy fly goes on it all changes. We can help you with that.....even on grass.

Just so you know meetings are every third Thursday of the month and really hard to change. Happy to organize an arvo session on the water somewhere once we get the basics worked out at the club night. I'm sure Angus will chime in with some useful ideas on a meet and great thingy :)

Sorry mate, I thought you were talking about an informal meeting of a few afoers, if meetings are every third Thursday through the club then I'll do my best to make it happen! Odds are someone in the club may have a beginners set up they'd be willing to part with too. Thanks man

Good one Nog, what about a fly tying social for the guys that are on this site.

Get them all to throw in a few bucks each for materials and show them the basics like clousers, decievers, surf candies etc. Get them all do a bit of tying.

I think that would be pretty cool !!

Nog where is the meeting held? definitely keen to come !!

After some advice from Carter & Chozza, Getting my first fly combo in a couple weeks :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Look at the meeting notices Mannie. Wilson-Grange AFL club Stafford.

If there's enough interest I'll organize a AFO only night somewhere.

sit cost anything to come along to the normal meetings? whats involved at the meetings?

No cost. We will be introducing a joining fee once we sort out insurance.

At the meetings we usually talk c$ap while having dinner ($15 at the club rooms). Most nights we have a theme of sorts like tying particular patterns, tactics, locations, a trip report maybe and special quests. Then we usually go for a cast o the oval. Sometimes we get a gun casting instructor (google Greg Jackson fly casting) to come along to iron out technique and help beginners as well.

Just to keep this rolling along, the next club night is next Thursday. However, I won't be there until 8:30ish.

If there are some keen enough starters I'm happy to host a get together either down at the club or at my joint or near water somewhere.

I think it would be good in the first instance to meet up, talk rods, reels, lines etc. and maybe get a handle on your casting technique before we leap into the water so to speak.

Does anyone have a preference of where and when? Mon, Tues, etc.

Cheers

Norm

Just to keep this rolling along, the next club night is next Thursday. However, I won't be there until 8:30ish.

If there are some keen enough starters I'm happy to host a get together either down at the club or at my joint or near water somewhere.

I think it would be good in the first instance to meet up, talk rods, reels, lines etc. and maybe get a handle on your casting technique before we leap into the water so to speak.

Does anyone have a preference of where and when? Mon, Tues, etc.

Cheers

Norm

Monday nights are no good for me, but can work in with other days :)

Archived