Solid swell off straddy

sehrguht

http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/environmental_management/coast_and_oceans/waves_and_storm_tides/wave_monitoring/site_param.php?siteid=13&paramid=1

5.8metres currently, that the most i have seen it read.

Also does anyone know the difference between the north moreton bay waverider and the central moreton bay waverider? they look to be very close together and kinda out in open ocean according to their map.

Frig going out in that even with zero wind. For met at least it would be like riding a chunder comet from hell.

Also don't forget that the longer the wave period the faster that waves move and the deeper the water they will break in. There is a direct relationship between the depth waves start to break in and the wave length.

The naming of the central moreton bay waverider has baffled me too. The central moreton waverider is behind the wild banks so it never get exposed to any swell only locally generate wind chop whereas the northern moreton waverider is outside the sand banks in an area near the moreton trench and near the wild banks artificial reef. The northern waverider will feel the effects of any swell not blocked by moreton isalnd, flinders reef and hutchies.

A big southerly swell offshore is actually quite fishable especially when there's such a long duration between the waves, 6m southerly swell with a 14 second duration is better than a 1.5m swell with a 4 second duration. Wind is a different story though.

Cheers

Mark

not if your fishing the gold coast it isnt..or sunny coast.

I will hopefully be heading out on saturday, as Mark said I prefer bigger swell with time apart rather then smaller swell close together it can get very messy. The bigger swell does move faster but when you are offshore you doen't even notice it when there is no wind chop, have been out in 6m swell and had a great day. Also this weekend the swell direction is south to south east which protects the bar at south passage considerable, but will still be watching up until a bit closer.

Andrew

I will hopefully be heading out on saturday, as Mark said I prefer bigger swell with time apart rather then smaller swell close together it can get very messy. The bigger swell does move faster but when you are offshore you doen't even notice it when there is no wind chop, have been out in 6m swell and had a great day. Also this weekend the swell direction is south to south east which protects the bar at south passage considerable, but will still be watching up until a bit closer.

Andrew

Hopefully swell drops abit more. Im planning to head outside too with my mate. Bar should be okay with low water being at 6.

I worked for QCL on one of their ships and was in cyclone roger off fraser island in 1993 and the seas were huge the wave rider bouys off the sunshine coast were registering 17m seas with the port shut we turned around and tried to get behind fraser but blew up both turbos on the main engine just past break seas spit this shut the main engine down and we dragged both anchors for 17 nautical miles till they bit getting our ship just behind the island this is the most scared i have ever been at sea i wanted to kill the skipper for taking us out in it.

>http://www.derm.qld.gov.au/environmental_management/coast_and_oceans/waves_and_storm_tides/wave_monitoring/site_param.php?siteid=13&paramid=1

5.8metres currently, that the most i have seen it read.

Also does anyone know the difference between the north moreton bay waverider and the central moreton bay waverider? they look to be very close together and kinda out in open ocean according to their map.

Archived