Moving to Darwin - boat suggestions

ozlad

G'day all,

Managed to snag a decent job in Darwin which has changed the goal post slightly in regards to buying a boat.

I have been looking at the seajay Tropic 485m, tabs territory, quintrex topender and bluefin wrangler, but unsure still unsure as I’ve never fished up that way before. I’m looking for something between the 4.5-5.5m, console, alloy with a budget of 30k.

Wondering if anyone on the site has fished Darwin before and has an suggestions on a suitable boat?

I’d be looking to fish both estuary and Darwin harbour, but definitely want something big enough to make the girl feel comfortable with the old crocodile.

Hey mate I reckon go the 5m tabs territory with side console or something similar to that. My mate that lives there has a 4.5 territory we went out in, had no worries getting across darwin harbour and about 15nm offshore.

Go a 4.5 - 5m plate boat and you will be laughing

I can't add anything valuable to this discussion... just wanted to say I'm a little jealous :D

all I can say is that there is SO MUCH water to cover. Bring bream gear as well... when the fish are shutdown, the smaller bream lures can bring them on the bite. Well... that's what I experienced anyway.

mate sent you a PM

I am considering selling my Formosa 520 Centre Console, it has a Honda BF90 with 100 hours on the back. It has been fully customised with a extra wide centre console, wider seat to fit the missus on, bimini, rear lounge seat and heaps more....

I have been to Darwin and this boat would rock in the billabongs and Darwin Harbour.

Check out my early post on my trip to Darwin, Milk Fish on Bream gear.......insane!!!!!

Let me know if you would be keen

Cheers

Bryan

G'day. I lived in the territory for around four years. I reckon a 5-5.5m plate boat with as big of a fuel tank as you can get. You will need a very strong trailer as most of the good spot will be a fair way along dirt/corrigated roads.

As an example one of the better spots is the Finnis River which is a couple of hours from Darwin, 50kms odd of dirt then 20kms of ocean from Dundie Beach before you get to the mouth. This spot has everything from barra/muddies in the river to sails 15kms off shore with black jew and reefies in between. My absolute favorite spot up there.

As far as a boat I would look at buying one down here as you will get more bang for your buck and usually NT boats have been flogged with a lot of hours on the engines. Tabs are good as are Bluefin, but if you can spare a bit more coin I'd be looking at a Trailcraft Pro Fish. A bigger boat will give you more room and make life easier out on the water.

mate sent you a PM

I am considering selling my Formosa 520 Centre Console, it has a Honda BF90 with 100 hours on the back. It has been fully customised with a extra wide centre console, wider seat to fit the missus on, bimini, rear lounge seat and heaps more....

I have been to Darwin and this boat would rock in the billabongs and Darwin Harbour.

Check out my early post on my trip to Darwin, Milk Fish on Bream gear.......insane!!!!!

Cheers

Bryan

I'm guessing your missus does not read the forum :pinch: :P

Thanks for the heads up guys. I have been looking into boats up in NT and they are generally 5k more with far more hours. I might look at a 5m boat now apposed to a 485m.

Muss

I was keen to fish the numerous arms around darwin harbour and worried a bigger boat may not allow me to do this. is this the case?

I have been looking into the trail craft pro, but they all seem to have 2 strokes on them.. Also considering a GS Marine boat, but far and few between.

Thanks again for the tips i will be looking hard over the next few months.

mate sent you a PM

Cheers

Bryan

I'm guessing your missus does not read the forum :pinch: :P

I was thinking the same thing Brian....

Thanks for the heads up guys. I have been looking into boats up in NT and they are generally 5k more with far more hours. I might look at a 5m boat now apposed to a 485m.

Muss

I was keen to fish the numerous arms around darwin harbour and worried a bigger boat may not allow me to do this. is this the case?

I have been looking into the trail craft pro, but they all seem to have 2 strokes on them.. Also considering a GS Marine boat, but far and few between.

Thanks again for the tips i will be looking hard over the next few months.

I haven’t done a great deal of fishing in these area's, however I know a few blokes up there who flyfish the flats in the arms. One of then has a 5.5m GS which is a pretty sweet boat. He manages to get into some tight areas as well as fishing the flats. I fished the Finnis, Vic, Roper, Towns, Leaders, off shore Darwin and billlabongs in Kakadu and saw 6m plus boats fishing these spots. Just remember that the NT has big tides.

A lot of the guides up there get around in some big boats and I guess it’s just a matter of being smart and getting to know the area/channels i.e., sand banks, rock bars.

That Horizon is a nice looking rig. I really like the built in esky and having an underfloor kill tank. Seems like you could buy it and take it straight out for a fish. It would be well suited for up there.

By the way don't forget about a bimini for the lunch time siesta, when its 35deg and 90%RH.

Thanks Muzz. I'm considering a new 5m GS, but the old man has had one and they are very wet boat in the chop - obviously perfect for the creeks up there though, especially the back rear console.

I will also look into the poly craft brumby and AMM plate boats.

The custom plate boat I got from Adam's Marine in Harvey bay would suite your needs. They sell the majority of their boats to the top end. Go a tough plate boat. Also the reason a lot of these boats are sold up there is they have high sides. The crocs because of the tourism operators hand feeding them. are getting very game and can jump up near the boats. I have heard of the landing on the back of tinnies. MV marine also makes a very similar boat as well. If you want to have a look at one I am more than happy to take you out for a run.

/>http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Boats/Power-Boats/AdNumber=D1357200809221

Archived