Forum Categories

Terry H

G'day AFOers

As I'm sure many of you are aware, a number of threads are being posted by members into the "Freshwater" category at the top of the forum index.

I would like to take this opportunity to bring to everyones attention one thing to note when creating a new topic. The default forum section when creating a new topic is the top forum section - Freshwater. As such, when making new topics please take a moment to consider one question: "is this the best forum section to post this?" and adjust the forum section appropriately.

Out of the 50+ posts I've moved around in the last half-hour, there were some common themes including:

General posts, and fishing reports under the "Freshwater" area in the "Fishing" section (TOP of forum). Please note this is for general freshwater discussion. Ditto for Saltwater. Location specific posts including fishing reports and going fishing have their own sections under the Fishing Regions banner:

Fishing Regions

- Queensland

-- North Qld

-- South Qld

-- Freshwater

-- Going Fishing

Please also be aware that there is a "Going Fishing" section under both Queensland and New South Wales regions. There were a number of posts in the NSW Going Fishing section that were actually Queensland.

Cheers

i think i mentioned this a while ago but with all the categories its so hard to find things and i don't think there is the post count to warrant all the different sections some of the other forums i visit use the title to details reports etc...

i don't think i ever bother looking through them all any more i just look at the latest posts and the for sale section

The default forum section when creating a new topic is the top forum section - Freshwater.

Is there a way to set up the category box ("is this the best forum section to post this") so there is nothing selected by default? This would make people select a category (hopefully the right one) or else there will be an error displayed by the form.. Just a thought..

The default forum section when creating a new topic is the top forum section - Freshwater.

Is there a way to set up the category box ("is this the best forum section to post this") so there is nothing selected by default? This would make people select a category (hopefully the right one) or else there will be an error displayed by the form.. Just a thought..

That's what I reckon too. It forces the issue.

Brian, I too have wondered this before. I think I thought of it late one night when I was procrastinating from work... then forgot to raise it with Admin lol.

It is a good point though. If the forum could have it so that no default section is picked, that would be ideal I think.

Either that or create a dummy "Suspense Account" style forum section as default :P :whistle:

Brian, I too have wondered this before. I think I thought of it late one night when I was procrastinating from work... then forgot to raise it with Admin lol.

It is a good point though. If the forum could have it so that no default section is picked, that would be ideal I think.

Either that or create a dummy "Suspense Account" style forum section as default :P :whistle:

Suspense account sounds like unnecessary work for mods. :huh:

You can do the monthly rec on it :P :silly:

yes the issue with members not selecting a category and by default being posted in the Freshwater section will be changed soon so that it is mandatory to select a category before you post.

Archived