centre sandwich plate

neal82

thats all i can seem to find out about it.

mechanic reckons he has to drop the whole box out to replace it. just trying to figure out if he's after a sneaky $ from me.

hoping mickfillet, or one of the other mechanically minded people knows and can help out

Well I would start by asking the mechanic what it does how can he identify it's broken

Why was it taken there in the first place

I don't understand that if you don't know what it is or what it does then how would you have any conceivable idea of what it should cost to replace

Well I would start by asking the mechanic what it does how can he identify it's broken

Why was it taken there in the first place

I don't understand that if you don't know what it is or what it does then how would you have any conceivable idea of what it should cost to replace

sorry mate,

i should clarify that i'll happily pay what he's asking if its a reasonable cost, i wasn't being too clear in my original post, been a long couple of days for me.

it was taken there in the first place for a service, he said its leaking oil from the centre sandwich plate and will need replacing. says he has to drop out the gearbox to do so.

everything i've found on the interweb in referance to a sandwich plate is refering to the a part that goes between the block and the oil filter. can't find anything about a centre sandwich plate.

Hey Neal82

The Sandwich Plate is the most commonly used adaptor when fitting oil coolers. call around to mechanics with this info and get a comparative price for replacement

cheers

so seeing as he said he needs to take the gbox out, its probably between the box and trans oil cooler?

that would be my guess mate

get at least 2 comparative quotes though before you decide on price of repair

that was my plan, but being a holiday tomorrow it'll have to wait until thursday for me to call someone, so figured i'd ask on here incase someone knew what it was and didn't mind giving me a hand one weekend.

I'll give you a hand one weekend or weekday. I know nothing whatsoever about what you are doing or talking about though. Happy to hand you tools (providing I'm not in the middle of rolling a dart) and bring drinks.

thanks brian, but i was ind of hoping that the handing over tools and drinking would be more my job because i know as much about this as you do your force

centre sandwich plate sounds like the seal between the gearbox and transfer case

similaar to this is my guess

[attachment=54373]help.jpg[/attachment]

that could be it, its hard to tell at the moment because it was only serviced yesterday so there's a few spots where there is oil.

i'll try and get a picture in the next few days from where i think the leak is.

Archived