Time to Find a New Landbased Crabbing Spot....

Gary_C

Yesterday I decided to throw a couple of pots in at my favorite landbased crabbing spot for an overnight soak. This place has always produced a feed and is very convenient. I went back this morning and could tell immediately that my pots had been raided (Bait and bait hooks removed and pots thrown back into the water upside down). I was pretty frustrated, but put it down to the construction going on in the area and increased activity bringing a higher chance of scumbags.

So, I decided to do a bit of scouting around the area and some bush bashing to make it a bit more difficult for any share farmers. Surprisingly, once I got through some of the nastier stuff I started seeing pots tied off to trees every 20 meters or so. It was low tide, and some of them were completely out of the water, so I could see that there were no identifiers on the pots or the ropes. Curiouser and curiouser thought I.

I wandered along the track a bit further until I came to a clearing and what I can only describe as a homeless camp... Trash everywhere, odd bits of useable junk like kitchen chairs etc. and a couple of tents that were not in the best shape and crab pots everywhere (including at least one of the collapsible style that Baptism has had go missing).

So, I am assuming that my crabs are in their bellies, by bait and bait hooks are in their pots, and I should be thankful that my pots were still left there. Regardless, I'll be giving that spot a miss in the future unless it is to just have a quick flick and a quick soak during the daytime. Luckily, I have a few more days of free time to go exploring for new spots!

Report it to both council and police. You cannot prove much on the theft front but if there is trash and rubbish all through there then report it. Say you went in there and they started yelling and screaming at you etc. That will get attention ;)

Tell them u thought u saw a pistol, that will get their attention haha

If your ever out of landbased spots flick me a pm and we can take a quick trip out in the pine and we can deploy your pots. Your only around the corner from me and the pine is 5 mins away. I dot eat crabs but I'd be glad to help. Would use bugger all fuel in the process.

Fisheries hotline if the ones tied off to treed did not have labels on them.

Cheers

Ray

Done. Thanks for the reminder Ray. They said they will follow up with me regarding the outcome.

Bit of advice to anybody else when calling something in after the fact, have google maps ready to go so you can give precise location information; the gentleman with whom I spoke is not from Brisbane so was not familiar with the area.

Appreciate the offer Chris. I've done a bit landbased on the Pine so far, but have to really make a hike of it to keep the sharefarmers out so I'll probably take you up on that!

Report it to both council and police. You cannot prove much on the theft front but if there is trash and rubbish all through there then report it. Say you went in there and they started yelling and screaming at you etc. That will get attention ;)

If your ever out of landbased spots flick me a pm and we can take a quick trip out in the pine and we can deploy your pots. Your only around the corner from me and the pine is 5 mins away. I dot eat crabs but I'd be glad to help. Would use bugger all fuel in the process.

why be untruthful when the facts are sufficient

why be untruthful when the facts are sufficient

Just a joke mate...

If that construction you are talking about is a bridge, I know the exact camp you are talking about, he has been there since I started fishing the area 18 months ago and presumably lives off the land

I'm thinking you know the place. I wasn't about to saunter in and have a conversation with the guy though :D In my experience, people who intentionally isolate themselves from society are even less predictable than people whom have been isolated by society. So, I figured the most prudent course was a quick and quiet retreat.

If that construction you are talking about is a bridge, I know the exact camp you are talking about, he has been there since I started fishing the area 18 months ago and presumably lives off the land

I'm thinking you know the place. I wasn't about to saunter in and have a conversation with the guy though :D In my experience, people who intentionally isolate themselves from society are even less predictable than people whom have been isolated by society. So, I figured the most prudent course was a quick and quiet retreat.

Yes Ellicat is definatelly not predictable

Fisheries left me a voicemail yesterday to advise that they had checked it out and got a result on the illegal crabbing. I'm not sure what kind of punishment they may have gotten, but I'm hoping that in the future they follow the laws (and stay the hell away from my pots).

Fisheries left me a voicemail yesterday to advise that they had checked it out and got a result on the illegal crabbing. I'm not sure what kind of punishment they may have gotten, but I'm hoping that in the future they follow the laws (and stay the hell away from my pots).

good job, that being said I've had pots stolen when im 50m away;

they just rip the tags out and claim its theirs.

these days i put my tags inside the pots and let the muddies guard it lol :evil:

they can try to rip it out and get their fingers chomped off :woohoo:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived