4wd Great Wall

robin

Can anyone tell me if the Great Wall 4wd is any good, I\'m looking at the x200 diesel auto.

I don\'t really know alot about 4wd\'s so some of my questions might sound abit stupid, but I rather ask stupid questions and get something good, rather then not ask and waste alot of $$$.

The x200 does not have a low range gear, but I was told by the sales person that with a Auto you don\'t really need the low gear as the Auto does it all for you.

Also there are no real review on this type of car, so if anyone can tell me if they are any good, or just plain bad, My uses that i want it for is, beach, and limited mud use.

Great Walls are a good car for the money, mostly a mixture of mitsubishi, Toyota, Isuzu and I believe Mercedes parts. For general beach work it will be fine but to be honest if it doesn't have low range it will struggle anywhere else other than bush trails and stuff like that. You sure it doesn't have low range?

mmm abit of a mixed review, sounds good on one side and on the other side not so good, with the panel beaters doing a runner, thats not the scary part as insurance will hopefully cover that part haha, but is the body really hard to repair.

Jeff, I only have a Auto license, Yea i know i'm a slacker, and the Auto only has a 4wd and a 2wd button, with pulling a boat up a hill, would the turbo on the auto diesel make it better.

Towing Capacity, I would be wanting it to tow a trailer, and or a small boat latter on down the track, so hopefully it will be good for that.

If its good for beach and bush then I am happy, as far as the sloppy stuff goes, I might only be using it for light muddy tracks, but not the really deep muddy stuff, so not sure if that makes it better.

From a panelbeaters point of view , run run run away and when you think your far enough keep running .

dont repair them replace them.

Buy a new 1 they are so cheap

That's half the problem there is virtually NO parts back up for these cars, have had them for months in the shop waiting. Insurance seriously don't care about the customers of there vehicles they all have targets to meet and don't give a rats arse how they achieve em either .

Brian, what speed is that done at (sorry if its in the audio - can't watch with audio atm)

Looks like the whole car buckles from that front-on collision??? Crikey.

/>http://www.ancap.com.au/crashtestrecord?Id=338

Edit: just did a bit of looking. those crashes are performed at 64km/hr.

I did a fair bit of research on the great walls not long ago. Most forum comments come from people that have never driven them dissing them and recommending whatever breed they own. :D

I always reckon the best reviews are from people that have them and the cumulative feedback seemed to be if you get a good one you are laughing at the price, but if you get a lemon the backup is very iffy. Lots of little things seemed to go wrong and a few bigger problems thrown in. I got the feeling it was a game a russian roulette buying one with the bad ones being a bit too common for me to consider them.

Have a look at the suzuki grand vitara. You can get a petrol auto for about 2k more or better if you deal hard and I think a lot more car and piece of mind.

Good luck with it whichever way you go :)

I have a diesle x200 2011 model, 30,000 klms, manual and mine is a pile of crud, gutless, it randomly looses all power whilst you are driving but when you take it in of course they cant find anything wrong, the 4 wd select randomly goes into 4wd low which really sucks when going into a round about. Servicing is expensive, more than triple that of my Diesle Hilux 2010 model. The brakes are always squeeling, I would never buy one again thats for sure.I'll be suprised if it lasts 5 years. Waldo is 100% correct it is a game of Russian Roulette, I know a few tradesmen with them and some are fine and some have bigger problems than me. Apparelty the autos wont change out of first when towing up a hill

The wife owns the X200 diesel auto 2012. She likes it but I am still not sold on the turbo lag in first gear. You have to change your driving style to accommodate. If you put your foot flat you go no where and then 2 seconds late you take off like a rocket. Take one for a test drive and you will see. Suspension is VERY stiff aswell (I prefer driving my Triton). I am pretty sure it doesnt have low 4WD. Also all doors lock and dont unlock unless the driver pulls out the key or the driver has to unlock from the switch on the door. Thats all I can really pick so far and we have had it for 5000 Km. Havent towed with it but once you get moving it is fine.

I have a diesle x200 2011 model, 30,000 klms, manual and mine is a pile of crud, gutless, it randomly looses all power whilst you are driving but when you take it in of course they cant find anything wrong, the 4 wd select randomly goes into 4wd low which really sucks when going into a round about. Servicing is expensive, more than triple that of my Diesle Hilux 2010 model. The brakes are always squeeling, I would never buy one again thats for sure.I'll be suprised if it lasts 5 years. Waldo is 100% correct it is a game of Russian Roulette, I know a few tradesmen with them and some are fine and some have bigger problems than me. Apparelty the autos wont change out of first when towing up a hill

That should be concerning enough on its own. 40-50kmh into a roundabout and then gears down to low range would easily unsettle the car.

I have never owned, or even driven one so I can\'t comment on their performance, but the reason I didn't even think about buying one is that we have no idea about how reliable they are long term. If they all start falling to pieces and needing expensive, rare parts in a few years you will have a piece of junk and next to no resale value. For the money I think buying a used Toyota or Nissan gives you proven reliability and a good resale value

Archived