Do I need a new rod for a small bullie?

shamus

Shamus, You should have no problems if your drag is set properly and your line is in good nick.

Remember to use small hooks with light tackle, 3/0 suicides are big enough for the average 85cm bullies.

Match your bait to the hooks though. Don't try to fish a kilo slab of flesh on a pair of 3/0s.

Most important thing to do is have fun!

Yeah Schultzy thats a good point regarding bait size. When i first started sharks i used to use chunks of meat far to big for the hooks.

Sharks (Especially those shy of a meter) will not snob a nicely presented bait fish even as small as 3-4cm. Troy and I were getting hook up after hook up for example on tiny bait fish at Kookaburra.

And dont worry about the 6lb. If you play it you will be fine. To be honest the bullies under a meter dont give a huge ammount of grunt (there is the odd exception). I have honestly had harder hitting and more drag pulling catties take my bait up that way :P

Angus

6 kg I think he said! Yeah thats stacks.

Neil: Did you put any of those two tags into the shark? We have caught ones with multiple tags in them before. I thought if they had one allready in them, you could just have their details updated.

PS - Tony must have been fighting that shark for a while, since he had time to change his shirt and all:whistle:

Matt have a closer look, he didn't change his shirt, just took off his coat and bunged on a hat, see the collar in the first pic. Dark coats look like c%#p in photos.

We double tagged a lot of sharks in the river as part of a tag shedding study. If one tag falls out you still get some history upon recapture.

Sharks are notorious for tag shedding with some estimates of 30 to 50% per annum in bullies.

We also tagged about 100 sharks with roto tags through the first dorsal fin. That type of tag has a good track record for remaining in place in school and gummy sharks down south, up to 30 years.

Are you reporting the captures of those tagged sharks? There is a phone number onthe tags.

Matt, regarding holding them by the pectoral. If you grip them too tightly behind the head while they are squirming around it can damage the skin around the gill openings (rubs off the denticles and they then act like grinding paste).

Grabbing the base of the pectoral close t the body is an easy way to keep the sharp end pointing in the right direction.

Shamus,

A 6kg outfit for in the river would be plenty. Some rods rated 6-10 are more like 10kg outfits others are more like 4-5. Depends on the brand.

Maybe try your existing rod on a few fish or fish with some of the other guys and try theirs before you lash out on a new outfit.

A lot of the lads I fish with are using 4-6kg outfits on river sharks.

I'll wait until I get them then figure out the reel thing.... and no, I didn;t realise they were baitcasters.. DOH! (maybe I should read the heading next time)I suppose baitcaster reels are expensive too...

Post edited by: shamus, at: 2007/08/24 08:40

Post edited by: shamus, at: 2007/08/24 08:41

i reacon more than new gear a good set of crimping pliers some wire a range of hooks to suit different baits make sure your wire is longer than the sharks your targetting or use a heavy leader to stop the tails slicing you off eventhe cheapest kids rods wil stop the little sharks but wire is all that stops their teeth

Neil, cheers for the info RE handling sharks. If holding them by a pec is kinder to the sharks (for releasing purposes) and safer for me (for keeping all my fingers) I will be sure to give it a go next time.

As for the double tagged shark we got.:blush: We def recorded the details with the intent of following up on it, but I'm not sure if anyone ever did. I'll get in touch with Killemaul (who caught the shark) and TerryH, who was trying to catch seamonsters:whistle: and see if they know more. I'm not sure which one of us now kept the details.

cheers

wwolf

Matt,

When going for the grab on the pectoral make sure you go from behind. They have a nasty habit of swinging their heads sideways and snapping at the wrong moment.

Have received a few love bites from them over the years, luckily all from little sharks. :blush:

Grip the fin right up against the flank of the shark.

This works very well on small sharks, up to about 1.3m.

The bigger blokes' fins start to get a little too large to get your hand around securely.

Archived