Brisbane river mullet

pinkey

Hey i went down to the brissy river this arvo after school.. flicked sp around for a while with no success, (quite windy) so i threw the castnet out to see if i could score some bait. was getting nothing when suddenly found some balistic mullet stuck in my net, dropped one or two but landed two. My two biggest ever at 30cm and 43cm, 1kg of mullet in 1 cast :) anyway just wondering how big theese blokes get in the brisbane river?.. :woohoo:

and also how the heck do you tell the differance between a sea mullet and a poddy mullet.. because i dont wana take an udersized sea mullet mistaking it for a poddy..

also is it worth having a crack with some bread and a small hook under a float, probly gona try it tomorrow arvo seeing nothing else wants to play..

Also just to let you know some friends of a friend went down to me and flatheads spot the other day and caught a 45cm bream:ohmy: and a 60cm thready, we couldnt belive the bream till we saw pics.. cheers

Tim,

Joel is right, a poddy mullet is a juvenile sea mullet. Sea mullet peak at about 75cm and 8kg in the wild but anything over 50cm is a quality specimen.

The common species we can legally use for livies under 30cm are flat tailed mullet, gold spot mullet and sand mullet.

Identification is a little difficult to describe so go to the local library and have a look in Ern Grant's guide to fishes for details.

If you want to catch mullet I once caught a whole bunch of them on a small hook and using fisho (Chicken Guts). I used a berley mix to get them going then they were just hooking themselves. It was weird though I've done the same since several times and never caught another one. You must have to get them in a feeding frenzy. They actually fight pretty hard on light line.

they usually feed on plankton and really small organisms so they are almost impossible to catch in the sea on bread but in estuary and landlocked systems you can get them on quite a few baits. bread is good but so is cheese- we used to catch them to 60cm on bread and cheese dough in clear island waters. i think in the river they would have plenty to eat and wouldn't go for a bait.

Dude deffs worth a try on the poddies! i usually chase the biguns in the local creeks when they go to breed, the run starts around september and you will get some monsters! the biggest ive ever pulled was 55cm in about 1.5ft of water and my god the action was intense especially on 4lb line. I should probs get my ass into gear and go and see if theres any around. the rain should have cleaned up the river a bit so they might even be on the way in. :P

ahah yeah i wana catch one on my rod they went bezerk in my net and when i held them i could feel that they were full of muscle. I tried this arvo using bread under a float with a tiny hook but no luck, would also love to target a few on fly gear..

thanks for the help guys.

Archived