Good Bye to an old Friend.

Binder

Not gone, just renamed - as nothing has changed from the community and website's point of view, same members, same events, same look and feel.

However, with a huge number (now over a third of our members) not in the Brisbane area it was a natural move to update our name to incorporate all our members and the discussions they have. The site originally grew from a Brisbane River (www.brisbaneriverclassic.com) community but has now evolved to something quite larger. for example, alot of reports are from the Gold Coast, Sunshine Coast, Moreton Bay, Open Water, Interstate, up in North Queensland and further afield inland at freshwater dams etc which are not related to the Brisbane River and so as you can see the name was a little redundant.

Hope this helps to explain the move B)

Will I have to learn any new languages ?
Trollspeak?? :dry: ;)

Good to see AFO moving forward with changes that reflect the growing nature of the site, it will be a little unusual referring to it as AFO but I'm sure it will grow on me :) put me down for 2 of the new stickers thanks :lol:

+1 for me to on the sticker side ty

i think it will be a move in the right direction for the fishing community..

good work admins

can we have a vote on...'whether to allow NSW in'... just joking, I think... :lol:

They say 30% of the community are imports already, might be a bit late for that :blink:

Perhaps the old stickers clothing etc will become collectors items!

some pollies in need,use it well :whistle: it`s called retrospective legislation :evil: :lol:

I've let the name change settle into my mind for a day or so. I've been conscious of anyones' natural aversion to change and I have (at the moment) concluded that I don't like it.

My aversion may change over time and it will not affect my attachment to the site in the short term, however if the site is to progress to a truly Australian site it will by definition no longer be the local site, concentrating on local issues that I originally joined. I want to know that the folk on the site are largely locals and have similar issues to deal with that I do. I want to know that a decky spot being offered won't require a long plane trip to take advantage of; I want to know that my site won't be choked with issues about where to get a latté after my quick fish for OzSalmon dodging the Manly ferry. Some of these issues (mainly the coffee) I am interested in, but I go to different sites to do that - I always return to one site though and that's the one that I can identify with on a personal level -BFO.

BFO's charm and allure for me lies in the fact that it wasn't the Australia-wide (Global? please no) fishing site that is remote from my immediate concerns.

I know that the people behind the move will have the best interests of the site at hand and more power to you I say. I just hope that it will continue to be as relevant to me as BFO once was.

I share this just as a point-of-view no more or less correct than anyone else's.

I wish AFO all the luck in the world and I hope it will remain as close to my heart as BFO once was.

Don't freak too soon. As this rolls out and forum changes are made, there will be settings/options to only view the threads and posts distinct to your chosen area etc.

This will make the correct selection of forum category for your posts all that more important....so everyone start practising so Terry and Henry can concentrate on things other than moving threads :P:lol:

As Ellicat mentioned, down the track we will be implementing the ability for users to select which categories they can have show in their Latest Posts lists. This means that if you are in Brisbane and don't want to see posts about New South Wales,then you can have it so you don't. Further, say you're not interested in kayaking then you can not exclude this category from your Latest Posts, that way all you have showing are the categories you want to view.

This means that if you want to not see the Going Fishing noticeboard for people in North Queensland then you don't have to, and can just see the categories you want.

Whilst it may have seemed that BFO was solely focussed on Brisbane, the reality is, the site had outgrown that years ago, with many reports from Moreton Bay, Gold Coast, Interstate, North Queensland etc and over 1/3 of the members not living in the region.

Whilst we do realise it may take some time for the change to sink in with some members (it will for us as well), hopefully they will see the benefit in the move and realise it now encompasses more members and regions including the Gold Coast, Moreton Bay etc

Archived