Does anybody eat fork tail cat fish?

rinkerdink

Ray fed me Forkies as fish cakes in 1973, I'm still whinging about it.

Ya mother said you dont appreciate good cooking :sick:

If you have eaten bassa you have eaten forkies.

When I used to buy at the fish markets there were a lot of forkies go through and at a higher price than mullet. They were gutted and headed so very little waste.

Cheers

Ray

I often got prices similar to other nice fish like snapper at the fish markets.

There is definitely a part of the community that enjoy eating them as there was always a demand for the fish going on market prices.

Another surprising one that often bought good money that most of us turn our noses up at is Pike Eels.

I often got prices similar to other nice fish like snapper at the fish markets.

There is definitely a part of the community that enjoy eating them as there was always a demand for the fish going on market prices.

Another surprising one that often bought good money that most of us turn our noses up at is Pike Eels.

Well I think i'll give them a miss but from my experience and i've only been once I reckon those sections of the community want to get themselves down to Redcliffe with a $11 rod, $26 reel and haul them in all day long with frozen pillies. I probably won't get a bite next time and will reminisce about the "catfish" day but it seems there are millions of them out there. 40 mins, 4 casts, 4 catfish...

As Ray said:

If you've ever bought/eaten basa fillets, then you've eaten catfish.

Basa: They inject female Basa/Pangas with hormones made from the dehydrated urine of pregnant women. (from: http://fishwrecked.com/forum/basa-fillets-warning)

They come from the Mekong river which is among the dirtiest places (land or sea) in the world.

In saying that, eel-tailed catfish from a local river could be quite nice, although I myself would rather pick through the bones on a nice bream instead, much tastier.

Edit: So I just read a bit more;

1. Basa is farmed along the Mekong River.

2. It is fed it's own kind (no unlike tailor eating tailor).

3. The hormones it is injected with come from China, unregulated.

4. The fish is frozen in Mekong River water - (industrial effluents, arsenic, and toxic and hazardous by-products of the growing industrial sector, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), DDT and its metabolites (DDTs), metal contaminants, chlordane-related compounds (CHLs), hexachlorocyclohexane isomers (HCHs), and hexachlorobenzene (HCB) ).

5. The fish is bought by 3rd parties operating for Coles/Woolworths and then on-sold to the public.

6. Now more frequent, it is being exported to New Zealand who then supply it to Australia as being from Local and Imported Ingredients which is perfectly legal under FSANZ.

Another example, whiting fillets that are sold in ALDI, are caught in NZ, processed in CHINA, then sold in ALDI in Australia as being "Caught in NZ waters". We keep profiteering these multi-nationals that are raping the NZ waters by not looking at labels in our supermarkets. Fair enough, the NZ'ers allowed them in via leases from various countries (most notably Russia).

One would imagine their carbon footprint from catching fish in NZ to go to China then be sold in Australia would be a little higher, but it doesn't register.

HI guys my missus is an American and all they eat over their in the midwest is catfish. SO if I catch one and fail to bring it home I am in trouble! I have found that they eat OK we mainly prepare them in a green curry with lime juice fish sauce and coconut milk. The taste and texture is quite acceptable.

As Ray said:

If you've ever bought/eaten basa fillets, then you've eaten catfish.

Basa: They inject female Basa/Pangas with hormones made from the dehydrated urine of pregnant women. (from: http://fishwrecked.com/forum/basa-fillets-warning)

They come from the Mekong river which is among the dirtiest places (land or sea) in the world.

In saying that, eel-tailed catfish from a local river could be quite nice, although I myself would rather pick through the bones on a nice bream instead, much tastier.

Edit: So I just read a bit more;

1. Basa is farmed along the Mekong River.

2. It is fed it's own kind (no unlike tailor eating tailor).

3. The hormones it is injected with come from China, unregulated.

4. The fish is frozen in Mekong River water - (industrial effluents, arsenic, and toxic and hazardous by-products of the growing industrial sector, polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), DDT and its metabolites (DDTs), metal contaminants, chlordane-related compounds (CHLs), hexachlorocyclohexane isomers (HCHs), and hexachlorobenzene (HCB) ).

5. The fish is bought by 3rd parties operating for Coles/Woolworths and then on-sold to the public.

6. Now more frequent, it is being exported to New Zealand who then supply it to Australia as being from Local and Imported Ingredients which is perfectly legal under FSANZ.

Another example, whiting fillets that are sold in ALDI, are caught in NZ, processed in CHINA, then sold in ALDI in Australia as being "Caught in NZ waters". We keep profiteering these multi-nationals that are raping the NZ waters by not looking at labels in our supermarkets. Fair enough, the NZ'ers allowed them in via leases from various countries (most notably Russia).

One would imagine their carbon footprint from catching fish in NZ to go to China then be sold in Australia would be a little higher, but it doesn't register.

Thousands of tons of Australian Red Spot Whiting is shipped overseas for processing and then bought back and sold in local shops.

Same goes for Abalone and many other products.

Archived