3 PB's and a Donut

ONTHECHEW

The plan was a big weekend of fishing but once again the long range forecast was wrong. I drove down on friday night to decky for Stu, but sensibly he called it off as it was too windy for an offshore mission. We had to go out sunday as I hadn't been out in ages, plans where for me, mark and manni (virgin on onthechew) to head out early and try and beat the army of trollers to a couple of the local reefs to give us a chance to pop. Then once we where out numbered join them in a bit of trolling action.

Late saturday gordo (flash1980) hit me up to come as well, so plans where changed to just bring plastic and popping gear, for the lack of rod space for four people for 3 different styles of fishing.

Got to the boat ramp at 3am to be met by Ted and the boys, had to wait around 30 minutes as gordo had set his alarm for the wrong day :whistle: then we where off across a seemingly glassed out bay, couldn't really tell it was pitch black. Got to the bar as first light was coming over the horizon and headed out, straight to the sevens at the same time as another boat as if it was a race for the first drift. Every one was throwing poppers on the first drift, with Manni being an offshore popping virgin, it was appropriate that he was first to hook up. Not huge by any means, but a YFT that put in a good account for itself going up against a popping combo(manni to add photo). This was a pb for Manni and also a first for him offshore popping. Hopes where high for a good day but I think we had one drift before all of the trollers turned up. The sevens was very quiet with no surface action and very little on the sounder, so with so much boat traffic we decided to have a crack at middle reef.

Had a few drifts at middle reef, mark had a quick bust off then I got monstered, I was onto this fish for at least 20 minutes and took us nearly all the way to flat rock when the leader finally gave way. Was definitely a very decent GT, but stupid me had 20lb leader on which only prolongs the pain. Had a couple more drifts there and decided to head down the the group for a few casts amongst the wash but it was too rough.

We headed off to another near by reef that has produced for us of late, usually has no bait showing but this time at least had some fish showing. First drift and Gordy was on a solid fish, after a reasonable fight up popped his snapper pb of 91cms. This made up for a fairly quiet morning, then next drift Gordy was on again this time another snapper of 87cms. At about this time I was thinking if I didn't ring him this morning to wake him up would I have caught those fish ;)

post-7753-144598911744_thumb.jpg

post-7753-144598911753_thumb.jpg

After a few more drifts at this spot for nothing, we decided to head back to the sevens. There was still a heap of boats there but at least now they where all drifting. On about the third drift Mark hooked onto a solid fish and after a another good fight Mark too was on to a pb a 75cm spangley. This is a fish Mark has wanted to catch for ages, since nearly everyone else that has come out with us has caught one.

post-7753-144598911759_thumb.jpg

Not long after this the decision was made to head home, as I had to still drive back to Toowoomba, at was a pretty quiet day fish wise, but you cant turn down 3 PB's and fantastic weather. Would have been good to get the boys onto a few more fish or get me of a Donut :(:(

Andrew

Was thinking Gordo should use this photo on his alarm :woohoo: :woohoo:

post-7753-144598911765_thumb.jpg

Andrew thanks for inviting me along and giving me a chance to try something new offshore. The YFT was not huge by any means but seeing the surface strike was pretty cool and a first for me popping my offshore popping cherry :cheer: :silly: :woohoo:

The last few trips offshore has given me the bug and getting addicted to go out more and more

It was an awesome day on the water and some great fish boated, thanks heaps for showing me a few tips and sharing your knowledge of the surrounding waters, not many people would do that and also lend you their very expensive rod and reels ;)

Thanks to Ted also for giving me his popping rod which I landed the Tuna on using Andrews popper ;)

Here's a pic of my YFT - thanks again mate, was also good to catch up with mark again and meet Flash, Flash was definitely on fire with the plastics :)

post-8859-144598911771_thumb.jpg

Andrew fighting his GT - the pic doesn't do it justice but gave you a pretty good workout !!

post-8859-144598911778_thumb.jpg

Well dome guys. You guys did well too.

Nice snaps gordo.

Man i didnt catch anything all day either. I was too busy driving or gaffing fish lol.

Dom was on fire. He stuck to bait and caught good fish. He got smoked by GT too. Talica 12 pe8 100lb leader thumbed spool no chance on it.

We tried to mix it up with jigs and plastics. Didnt work out too well.

Lol i was saying to the boys we should have never left that mark and go try finding jewies.

The end made my day. When i seen the school i knew there was spots under them. Dom had to drive than lol. Times like those i miss my old CC.

I camt believe you guys missed them :P

cracking snaps there gordo.

Hey manni - looks like you're gonna have to start saving for popping gear :D

I have the green light for a bigger boat Henry and all i've been thinking about this week is going offshore to try more popping haha

what do think i've been doing the last few days, looking at offshore gear - I think i will need some advice though on gear selection

You also know what my lure collection is like - i'm scared to think what I will spend for my offshore lure collection

At least i can't blame you this time Henry ;)

Archived