US Court Declares Sea Shepherd Pirates

Gad

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-02-27/us-court-declares-sea-shepherd-pirates/4543370

By North Asia correspondent Mark Willacy and wires

An appeals court in the United States has labelled the anti-whaling group Sea Shepherd as pirates, clearing the way for Japanese whalers to pursue legal action against it.

In making his ruling, chief judge Alex Kozinski said people no longer needed a peg leg or an eye patch to be classified as pirates.

"When you ram ships, hurl glass containers of acid, drag metal-reinforced ropes in the water to damage propellers and rudders, launch smoke bombs and flares with hooks; and point high-powered lasers at other ships, you are, without a doubt, a pirate," he said.

This was true "no matter how high-minded you believe your purpose to be," the judge added, in a ruling that dubbed Sea Shepherd founder Paul Watson "eccentric."

Sea Shepherd is chasing the Japanese fleet hunting whales off Antarctica, as it has done for years in a bid to prevent the mammals being slaughtered.

Japan's Institute of Cetacean Research and others are pursuing legal action in the United States, seeking an injunction against Sea Shepherd's activities on the high seas.

The court ruling overturned a US district judge's ruling and allowed the Institute of Cetacean Research to pursue their action against the anti-whaling group.

The plaintiffs "are Japanese researchers who hunt whales in the Southern Ocean," which is regulated by an international convention, of which the United States and Japan are signatories, it noted.

The convention "authorises whale hunting when conducted in compliance with a research permit issued by a signatory," said the ruling.

"Cetacean has such a permit from Japan. Nonetheless, it has been hounded on the high seas for years by a group calling itself Sea Shepherd Conservation Society and its eccentric founder, Paul Watson.

"The activities that Cetacean alleges Sea Shepherd has engaged in are clear instances of violent acts for private ends, the very embodiment of piracy. The district court erred in dismissing Cetacean's piracy claims."

The appeals court also ruled the case should be transferred to another district judge.

"The district judge's numerous, serious and obvious errors identified in our opinion raise doubts as to whether he will be perceived as impartial in presiding over this high-profile case," it said.

"The appearance of justice would be served if the case were transferred to another district judge, drawn at random."

This day and age of cheap quality camera's I would like to see all the UNEDITED video that they have probably taken of each other. Surely that would be an easier way of proving who was right and who was wrong.

I still don't know how they can get away calling it scientific but. Also don't doubt sea sheppard may be doing some unlawful things as well.

This day and age of cheap quality camera's I would like to see all the UNEDITED video that they have probably taken of each other. Surely that would be an easier way of proving who was right and who was wrong.

I still don't know how they can get away calling it scientific but. Also don't doubt sea sheppard may be doing some unlawful things as well.

Legally Japanese 'researchers' are allowed to hunt X amount of whales per year, they do possess an internationally recognised permit that allows them to do it.

It doesn`t matter who spits at who, after all, one group is legally doing their thing and the other group purposely sails out to meet them and hinders,harrass` and attempts to disable the vessels of the Japanese whalers and by doing so,place lives and vessels at risk.

Having a cause doesn`t give any one the legal right to put others at risk.

i think no one can really comment as to whats going on.

ie: smoke and mirrors, lance ammstrong, bill clinton, australian swiming, betting scandals, the labour party and so on and so on.

im sorry if that statement stirs your loins

but really in today's envorimnent everyone and i mean everyone is conditioned to not admiting fault/wrong doing / liability

Its the he said she said thing and everyone knows you just say they did it until proved otherwise.

now i DO NOT AGREE with that and DO NOT teach my children that , but sadly thats the way it is.

i dont know who rammed who. but with todays tec equipment we should be able to work that out! :(

I havn't got the fondest memories of those pesky whales when they come visiting along the coast line here but I think I can put up with the odd scare. The japanese arent playing fair going into a whale sanctuary killing whales year after year for so called science then carving them up for sale in japan. Its all a joke they need to stop whaling and sea shepard need to tone it down a bit and stop thier risky behaviour if they sink a ship down thier its diar straits for her crew as for being pirates I thought you had to rape pillage and plunder

• 3 weeks later...
Excuse me if this is a dumb question. But what does a US court have to do with this anyway? Australian/International waters. Japanese boats.

Is it just the fact that The Seas Shepherd Conservation Society is a registered charity in the US?

the US, like most countries,does not recognise Australian sovereignty in the region,only New Zealand, United Kingdom, France & Norway do.

Archived