Marley and me, trip tp Maroon Dam, Camp Lakefire

BassTracker

For the last few months my 4 year old daughter has been begging me to come fishing and camping. So for the past couple of weeks we have been planning a camping / fishing trip together. We’ve even had a couple of pre-fishes to see if she prefers braid or mono haha, (Tugger would be proud she’s a mono girl all the way)

We had planned to hit summerset for the weekend but because it has been closed to water activities for a while we decided to hit up Maroon Dam. It was a good choice!

We gave the guys at Camp LakeFire a call and after a last minute cancellation we booked one of their cabins for Saturday night. The view from the cabin is amazing!

post-1835-144598926619_thumb.jpg

We unpacked our stuff and went a dropped the tinny in after getting some good info from the manager up there (Mick) top bloke and AFO member, he was spot on we got a good feed of redclaw. Marley was all about the fishing so we went and hit a few likely spots but no luck. So we caught up with Mick again and he put us right on top of them.

As seems to be the way to go at Maroon, we were float lining with no weight, Big mouth circles and live shrimp, Marley got the hang of it really quick and started out fishing me straight away, she got some cracker Bass on her little custom rod and I couldn’t get the smile off her face.

post-1835-144598926638_thumb.jpg

(Pulling pots)

post-1835-144598926651_thumb.jpg

She got quite a few more just like it)

Even though it was a wet weekend, we were on the water a lot, and a big thanks to Mick at Camp Lakefire for all the helpful tips, for letting us hang out up at your place for a chat, letting Marley play with your dogs for ages and letting her play with your redclaw!

And for walking out with a big crate of redclaw and topping my esky off before we hit the road.

Had a few people over for dinner when we got back, Im not a huge fan of eating bass but these sandy bottom bass taste great especialy with a redclaw chaser ;)

post-1835-144598926665_thumb.jpg Crispy skin bass

post-1835-144598926675_thumb.jpg

Butter and garlic redclaw with a crispy noodle salad

post-1835-144598926685_thumb.jpg

post-1835-144598926694_thumb.jpg

Great spot!

Brad

Yeah Ted she got the hang of floatlining pretty quick, by the third bass she was doing the whole lot on her own, she fishes with me a lot especialy in the last 6 months, really hoping she sticks with it, shes a natural, and Jarryd thats the first time Ive been up there and I cant wait to get back!

BillP, I dont think that redclaw spot is a secret, Im sure there are heaps of spots to get them there, directly accross from the boat ramp along either of the walls there, I did find that around the weed beds in about ten meters of water we didnt do very well, but in a bit closer around the 5 to 6 meter mark we were cleaning up. Mick was saying that I shouldnt even bother with the usual baits of rockmelon, potato.. he uses catfish and cleans up but we didnt do to bad on the potato..

It's a great spot we love it there..... mmmmmmm can we see an AFO social weekend down there on the horizon sometime soon :woohoo: :woohoo: ...

Next Social there is the Winter Comp. Get yourself to it. A great weekend and lots of great people.

Sounds like a great idea Ted, I'll make sure I plan early to ensure I can get away.

awesome report mate, my missus and i are pregnant at the moment she is praying for a girl, and after reading this post it gives me hope that i can have a great fishing buddy in the future if god choses to give us a little girl!

Great report mate, made my day!

Archived