A Sounder to Consider - The Raymarine Dragonfly

crazywalrus

Dazza put me onto these the other day and I am impressed. I do not know to much about Raymarine products myself but I think they have an ok Rep in the market place. If I had not fixed my Lowrance Elite 5 I would most certainly be buying one of these units. Some stores have them for $850 including the navionics card for a limited time I think. I think this product is going to give the lower market a real shake up.

Anyway I thought I would put this up as the question has been asked a lot in the last couple of months. Worth a look I reckon. I have to break my Lowrance again so I can get one. :whistle:

/>http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=6854

/>http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVmAwGSvN9U

Thanks Ted. I am looking to replace my old Humminbird whihc has had the biscuit. Where are you seeing the great prices? Also, the humminbird was pretty good in the salt, considering mine is mounted on the gunnel with no real protection from the water and lasted over 7 years. Anyone have an opinion on the durability of the Raymarines?

Thanks Ted. I am looking to replace my old Humminbird whihc has had the biscuit. Where are you seeing the great prices? Also, the humminbird was pretty good in the salt, considering mine is mounted on the gunnel with no real protection from the water and lasted over 7 years. Anyone have an opinion on the durability of the Raymarines?

pretty sure Lance (aussie123) has them on his site for that much. http://www.reeltackle.com.au/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&Itemid=115&p=product&id=18852&parent=426&vendorid=2

Also Trymax have them as well but they do not make mention of the Navionics card.

Hey Guys

I have had some PM's and phone calls regarding these new Raymarine Dragonfly units.

We have not been given much info on these yet as they have not been officially released.

I just called Raymarine and had a good chat to their tech guys regarding some of your questions.

These units are not in the country yet and they are hoping to have them in shops near the end of the month.

At present there is only a small number of units here for testing.

These units are now running the latest CHIRP transducer technology which is set to revolutionize the small sounder market.

The transducers are also made by Airmar so they are the best you can get.

Present testing off Sydney has these showing incredible soundings to 80m with the Downvision and good bottom readings in 200m using the sonar/sounder.

Apparently offshore testing has been very limited at this stage due to bad weather since the test units arrived in the country which is very understandable.

I asked them to measure the sounder for me and the Actual screen size is 85mm x 115mm (5.7" Diagonally).

6m Transducer Cable with an optional 4m Extension available.

They take any Navionics Micro SD Cards but available with the full Aust Gold Card as part of the package.(Non Updatable Version)

Spare Transducers and Mounting Brackets are also available to use the head unit in different boats/yaks but no prices are available yet.

If you already have a Navionics Chart they just advised me that we can get the unit without a card with a considerable savings so check my site out for those units.

Any questions please PM or call me.

Thanks

Lance

Hey Guys

I have had some PM's and phone calls regarding these new Raymarine Dragonfly units.

We have not been given much info on these yet as they have not been officially released.

I just called Raymarine and had a good chat to their tech guys regarding some of your questions.

These units are not in the country yet and they are hoping to have them in shops near the end of the month.

These units are now running the latest CHIRP transducer technology which is set to revolutionize the small sounder market.

Present testing off Sydney has these showing incredible soundings to 80m with the Downvision and good bottom readings in 200m using the sonar/sounder.

Apparently offshore testing has been very limited at this stage due to bad weather since the test units arrived in the country which is very understandable.

I asked them to measure the sounder for me and the Actual screen size is 85mm x 115mm (5.7" Diagonally).

They take any Navionics Micro SD Cards but available with the full Aust Gold Card as part of the package.(Non Updatable Version)

Spare Transducers and Mounting Brackets are also available to use the head unit in different boats/yaks but no prices are available yet.

If you already have a Navionics Chart they just advised me that we can get the unit without a card with a considerable savings so check my site out for those units.

Thanks

Lance

As always going out of your way to help everyone. Cheers man.

They look the goods. If it had a bit bigger screen I would jump on it. Great price too.

Hey Guys

Thanks

Lance

Was all set to fly with one but had to go to eye specalist today and he said whats up and I said my left eye is flowblown and he replied blow or fruit.?

Then said I need laser surgery only $900 and health fund wont cover it.

Good news is 97% success rate bad news is 3% eye will fall out.

I hate smart rse Doctors

Hey Guys

Thanks

Lance

Was all set to fly with one but had to go to eye specalist today and he said whats up and I said my left eye is flowblown and he replied blow or fruit.?

Then said I need laser surgery only $900 and health fund wont cover it.

Good news is 97% success rate bad news is 3% eye will fall out.

I hate smart rse Doctors

That's bad luck Ray. Odds are definitely in your favour. But, couldn't you just get a pirate patch for that eye and buy the sounder anyway? Its all about priorities, Ray.

• 2 weeks later...

Saw it today at the show and got the guy to move it out into the sun, could still see it clearly.

I like the look of it and liked the ease of moving and zooming around.

I'm going to be saving my money and hopefully pick one up in a few months, by then there should be some reviews as well.

PS All the best Ray

• 4 weeks later...
Heard that they are starting to trickle through. Anyone got one yet?

Would like to see some screen shots.

Cheers

Ray

They started a few days ago Ray but there is a massive back log on orders being sent out from Raymarine.

They have a huge list of shops and they are working down that list from top to bottom.

I have a few on order and all sold now but I will not be getting mine for maybe 2 weeks yet.

This post on Ausfish is the very first I have seen of a Dragonfly fitted and turned on and the images look spectacular and clear even though they are not over any structure.

/>http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/showthread.php?191545-Installing-Dragonfly-on-Yamaha-Jetski

They look pretty good, Lance. I have been thinking about where to mount mine when they turn up and originally was thinking about mounting it in a waterproof box under the gunnel level instead of up on the gunnel where I have had the Humminbird for 6 years. But then I thought maybe the GPS might not work too well if I did that? I see this guy has his sitting pretty much out in the open on his jetski. Do you think the salt spray would be a problem? Also thinking about a waterproof cover to put over it when travelling but that would need to be transparent or I won't be able to use it when moving. Any ideas?

It should be fine up on the gunnel as they are waterproof.

Obviously a little bit of maintenance for any brand of electronics would be needed if they are getting water over them like spraying connectors occasionally but thats about all.

I am thinking of selling my Furuno 600L and GPS and grabbing one of these myself and it too will be mounted on the gunnel like my current gear is.

Archived