PB Weekend

ryanyoung

G'day All,

Haven't posted for quite some time, but thought I would brush off the cobwebs and crack on.

So this one made it to the freshwater section, due to the first session being in the fresh.

Over the past six months or so, I have been almost exclusively targeting the sweetwater, for bass, yellas and Mary/Murray cod. It was all going so well until round about Australia Day. Since then, the sweetwater has also been the raging torrent water.

This prompted me to get on Google Maps, and to keep my ears open for some goss.

Soon enough, I picked out some info about a waterway down the road. This info was more of an urban myth at the most, so I wasn't holding my breath. The keyword was Mary Cod.

Anyway, the day dawned a little later than usual, thanks to a night out with the lads the night before, but I eventually got down to my new spot.

The water was running pretty fast, so it was a case of finding the eddies and calmer water. Not knowing the sub-surface terrain, I decided to tie on a Duo Realis Popper (been hearing some wicked reviews lately), as the opportunity for a bass was too enticing.

post-5695-144598932797_thumb.jpg

Anyway, off I went. The first bit of fishable water I came across looked enticing to say the least.....

post-5695-144598932811_thumb.jpg

The first cast out was swept down a little too quickly for my liking, but I also saw what I thought were fins down below. The next cast raised a cod up to have a sniff and a tentative nip. The third cast saw me being a bit more aggressive with the retrieve and bang....ON!!!

This fella was a bit difficult to get in, as he decided to head downstream, but after about five minutes or so, I had him on the bank....

post-5695-144598932822_thumb.jpg

I would say he went early to mid 60's, and was very healthy. This was the first PB, being my first Mary Cod on popper. I have gotten a fair few on the big timber paddlers, and must say, from this one encounter on popper, that the bigger the lure, the harder they hit.

Anyway, from there, it was more a wander and explore. I was happy, I had avoided the donut, so played around a bit with different retrieves and casts. The terrain I had to deal with was horrible on the eye :P

post-5695-144598932833_thumb.jpg

post-5695-144598932841_thumb.jpg

post-5695-144598932849_thumb.jpg

I also ran into these fellas, who made a pest of themselves chasing my lure :cheer:

post-5695-144598932857_thumb.jpg

Okay, so that is it from the fresh....

The next day, it was time to hit the salt with a mate. We took off at O'Dark thirty in choppy conditions, and eventually got out to Harries. Getting there early allowed us to pick a decent spot, and soon enough, we were rigged up ready to go. I was fishing plastics, whilst Blair was fishing squid. Soon enough though, my weekend caught up with me, so I had a nap.

I woke up an hour or so later, and still there had not been a touch on the bait. I went to re-rig a plastic on my jighead, but the bait was a bit closer, so, being in a lazy mood, I decided to throw a bit of squid on until I woke up a bit more. The squid went straight on the jighead, and then over the side. Within five minutes or so, after the morning ablutions, the rod buckled over, and the Exist let loose with a scream of triumph :woohoo:

I had the deep spool on, which was lucky, as soon enough, I was down to twenty-five yards of line. I had no idea what it was, as I could feel much more than an overworked drag...

The eventual result though, was a relatively easy retrieve of line, and on the end was this fella.....

He went 83cm, belting my previous PB by 40cm or so ha ha ha!!!!

Other than that though, we got stuck into the whiting, which was a bit of fun, before heading back in.

All up, a top weekend out and about, with pb's on both days, and a new spot to keep in mind when I hit the fresh next.

Cheers, and thanks for reading,

Ryan.

That spot looks like an awesome find! well done on the cod too.

Sometimes it is easy to overlook the backyard in favour of distant locations. I love fishing remote places as much as anyone (actually probably more than most) but it really cool to find top fish like that hidden away closer to home.

Cheers

Duncan

Archived