15 Amp extension cables

daveylad

I'm heading off camping for the long weekend and want to know if its possible to use a 15amp extension cable and plug with a 10amp plug one one end??? its a powered site with 15amp posts and I want to run it to the boat and set it up to run a couple of things which would use a 10amp plug. I've looked averywhere but there dosent seem to be one available so I wondered if its okay to strip one end off and fit a 10amp one myself

Appreciate responses and hope its legal what I'm doing and the electric plug police arn't watching

:unsure:

No worries there Dave as you are putting a 10A male plug into 15amp GPO. Nothing illegal and no modification needed. GPO's are designed to be compatible with lower rated leads plugs. i.e. you can happilliy plug a 10A into a 15A or 20A outlet.

You can't plug a 15A or 20A lead into a 10A outlet. (Its illegal and one of the esteemed members on this forum will come after you.)

Yes you can modify a 15A, lead by putting on a 10A plug but the reason some appliances/machines have a 15A or 20A plug is that the cunductors including the earth blade needs to be bigger to carry more current in the case of a fault. i.e preventing someone getting fried or a fire.

FYI. Replacing a 15amp plug with a 10amp is illegal. Grinding one down is almost worse. I wouldn't like to be the person at fault if what you did caused damage.

You cannot modify electoral components of you aren't a qualified electrical licence holder. You can plug 10amp into 15amp but you can't replace on for the other.

Archived