Securing a kayak - any tips?

kmcrosby78

Possibly buying my first kayak tomorrow (good priced second hand one popped up online today). Rather tight timeframe as I don't want to miss out on it - just wondering what my options are to strap it/secure it. I'm terrible with knots so was thinking of just using tie down straps with a ratchet. For tomorrow it will be going on top of the roof rack bars of my Xtrail but when I start using it I'll mainly use my Commodore so will then probably need these soft racks I've heard of.

Plenty to learn obviously but for now will using the tie down straps with ratchets straight onto the Xtrail roofracks do the job? Should I be padding underneath it with anything?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers Dubbzy and Tomca. Yeah plastic Tomca so will grab a set of tie downs tomorrow assuming I haven't missed out on another bargain. It's a new-ish Extreme Outlaw kayak with seat and paddle for $450. Was originally thinking an Espri but given I'm 6'4 and have been in a good paddock for a while now (112-ish kg) I think I'd be better off getting a yak with a bigger load capacity. Have been keeping an eye out for Tempo's but they're abit out of my budgets reach at the moment so will give the Outlaw a go (if I'm not too late) and worst case it appears I could easily sell it for what I paid for it.

I'b better stop talking about it and actually phone the guy ........ Cheers.

If you haven't bought the straps yet, and they are just for the yak get the ratchet with just a long strap. Not the ones with a hook at each end. If you look cloely at my pic, you see the strap passes over the yak, under the roof rack and back over the yak, under the other side and the strap goes into the ratchet. It has better grab than the other type.

Cheers for the tip. Will be going to Bunnings to grab them in the morning. Possibly a silly question but just want to clarify - is there a hook at the ratchet end of the strap?

Just phoned the guy and it's still available so getting excited now - could be part of the tupperware army by tomorrow arvo!!!!

Cheers Ant and Tomca. Unfortunately he sold it this morning - snooze you lose (I was out fishing!!!). Oh well, back to keeping an eye out for a bargain for WAY too many hours!!! Missed another bargain when we were up visiting the in-laws in Toowoomba about a month ago - Espri with paddle, seat, trolley & lifejacket for $350!!!! Good news is they do pop up - I just need to act quicker (other problem was the wife was down the coast with her parents this weekend and had the Xtrail with her). Someone got a bargain!!

Archived