Quick Flick last night

Bill_V

Went out for a quick flick last night in the Brissie River with my cousin Andrew and mate Tyler. Decided that we would take no bait and would flick around large plastics looking for jewies. Started flicking around the mouth of Breaky Creek with no joy but felt a bump on my line after 10 mins or so. Brought it in to find some braid caught on my lure so I started pulling it in while wrapping it around my hand as it was coming in really easily. Once I had one end in I started pulling in the other when I reallised something was on it and it was pretty big.

There was plenty of weight but no real fight so I kept pulling it in, when it got to the surface we were presented with the biggest flathead I have ever seen, it was absolutely huge, once it hit the surface it took off again before we could get the net and because I had the line wrapped around my hand I couldn't let it run. Then it snapped just after cutting my little finger with the braid. To say I was a little disappointed was an understatement.

Anyhoo, we didn't have any more action there so we moved on to one of the well lit city cat terminals and started casting towards the bank. Not too long after we arrived I got a nice healthy looking 60cm Thready, I was stoked, I got it in fairly quickly as I was expecting bigger critters so he was outgunned and quickly in the boat, couple of pics and released unharmed, the water was really shallow so he released well.

Nothing much else happened after that, a few hits but nothing connected. It was a bit hard to find the bait last night, the tide was huge and there was alot more water in there than usual. Still it was a good night and a good way to try out the new under gunwale lighting I installed.

Cheers,

Bill

post-9750-144598967639_thumb.jpg

post-9750-144598967648_thumb.jpg

So I find I have a private message from someone having a go at me about my report......as if I have somehow broken some sacred vow.......Apparently this guy and his mates own the river and all the fish in it. I read about fishing lit areas in the river in a magazine article so this is hardly a well kept secret.

It is no wonder that people don't post as much as they used too. just thought I would add your message to the thread.....

see PM below

Tuesday, 25 June 2013 04:26

hey champ dunno who showed you bout the treminals, but thats certainly not the kind of fishing you do a report on and name what your fishing. Actually couldnt believe some one was stupid enough put a report up about it, your doing well. That fishing is kept to a small group of anglers who dont report on those certain spots and do there best to keep that fishing under wraps and away from unwated atention and rapeists, puting a report up will just atract more attention to these spots and theyll go to ****. there only small spots and 10 or so of em so have a think and watch what you report.

So I find I have a private message from someone having a go at me about my report......as if I have somehow broken some sacred vow.......Apparently this guy and his mates own the river and all the fish in it. I read about fishing lit areas in the river in a magazine article so this is hardly a well kept secret.

It is no wonder that people don't post as much as they used too. just thought I would add your message to the thread.....

see PM below

Tuesday, 25 June 2013 04:26

hey champ dunno who showed you bout the treminals, but thats certainly not the kind of fishing you do a report on and name what your fishing. Actually couldnt believe some one was stupid enough put a report up about it, your doing well. That fishing is kept to a small group of anglers who dont report on those certain spots and do there best to keep that fishing under wraps and away from unwated atention and rapeists, puting a report up will just atract more attention to these spots and theyll go to ****. there only small spots and 10 or so of em so have a think and watch what you report.

Isnt it common sense to fish areas like the terminals?

Structure, and light to attract food for the bait fish and in turn brings the fish.

Nice one Bill!

There's a few well known spots that people like to think are secret.

There used to be a few favourites around the day. Dutton Park and the river walk in the CBD/New Farm seem to come to mind as two, but there are a heap of other similar locations throughout the river!

It might be fair enough if someone has given you their 'spot x' in good faith of keeping it hush, but if you put in the time and effort to find a spot yourself then you're certainly entitled to report on it how you wish!

Thanks Terry,

No one told me about the spot I was at last night, it just looked right to me at the time so I gave it a go. I returned the fish to the water so it is still there and there are 24 city cat terminals in the river and I didn't say which one I was at.

Anyhow, I am stoked that I found a spot to fish and I will go there again and search for new places. I am surprised that people are willing to threaten violence over a fish or a well lit spot in a river in a major city.

I won't be intimidated into not posting as I have gained much knowledge from this site and if I can give some back then I consider that to be a positive. If people over the last few years did not post then I would not have been inspired to explore the river.

I like this forum and I will post again, it is a big river and there is room for everyone as far as I am concerned.

Cheers,

Bill

Exactly Bill. The forum relies on people like yourself taking the time and effort to report. Good on you. If everybody took the attitude that they would not tell anybody about it there would be no forum. The forum is here for people to share their experiences and impart their knowledge so others can learn.

Sending a Pm to someone warning them not to post is not in the spirit of this forum.

Thanks Terry,

No one told me about the spot I was at last night, it just looked right to me at the time so I gave it a go. I returned the fish to the water so it is still there and there are 24 city cat terminals in the river and I didn't say which one I was at.

Anyhow, I am stoked that I found a spot to fish and I will go there again and search for new places. I am surprised that people are willing to threaten violence over a fish or a well lit spot in a river in a major city.

I won't be intimidated into not posting as I have gained much knowledge from this site and if I can give some back then I consider that to be a positive. If people over the last few years did not post then I would not have been inspired to explore the river.

I like this forum and I will post again, it is a big river and there is room for everyone as far as I am concerned.

Cheers,

Bill

I agree! Maybe Breakfast Creek will be a spot worth making threats and abusive comments for. It was a good trip which we had planned to look for and target specific areas. We all benefit slot from trip reports and other forums on here and it's a shame some people aren't as happy to share turn the ones that are off from making a post

This just goes to show that there's no such thing as a Spot X, if you know about it, I can garuntee about 20 other people know about it too. Especially in a highly populated area like Brisbane.

Fishermen, by their very nature look for fishing spots.

Nice work on the Thready Bill, I'm yet to get one in Brisbane and have only got them on hardbody lures further north.

In my opinion a fishing forum's whole reason for being is to build a community of people who loves the sport of angling. The idea behind creating this community is to...

1) Share our fishing experiences.

2) Share our knowledge of fishing, whether it be rigs, knots,

rods, reels, bait etc.

3) To learn from other forum members who are willing to share

their knowledge.

4) To teach other forum members on areas they need help with

by answering questions asked.

5) To share in one another's trials and tribulations.

6) To support and assist other member as far a possible

wherever we can.

There are no such thing as a secret spot. All your top anglers know where the good spots are and all the experienced anglers know where the great spots are. You can find all the so-called "secret spots" in the fishing magazine on offer at your local BCF as well as a simple "google" search. I have only been in Brissy for 3 months and i've picked up on the city Cat Terminals. Whenever I drive passed the river at night there are many tinny's out there flicking lures on any given night. It's not a X-file secret.

Anyways, you will always find forum politics on any forum. Don't let that put you off from doing your own thing and most importantly posting your trips and sharing your experiences. We are all part of this forum because of one commonality...We love to fish. There's enough waterways, spots & fish out there for everyone. Don't fight each other but fight against the commercial trawlers that are decimating the local and international fish stocks.

Bill get out there, enjoy the fishing and post the hell out of it.

That's just my 2c.

Archived