Bretts Wharf Threaddie!!!

viperon1982

Brian D wrote:

viperon1982 wrote:
Rocket75 wrote:

Haha, well my \"Made-in-China\" housemate's cooking up a storm as we speak. It's Chinese-styled szechuan chilli hot pot threadfin salmon tat we're having tonite!! Not for the faint-hearted! God its gonna be yummy...

Yummy alright, my goodness it sound bloody beautiful.

Would the recipe work for barra fillets?

Oh god.. just finished dinner... man I'm so FULL i could explode! Self-caught fish tastes the best! Well you can actually buy the packets of seasoning from any chinese grocer (Yuens, Famosa, Welcome.. etc).

The seasoning we used is actually MEANT for freshwater fishes! So barra would be PERFECT! I think it's because the meat of freshies tend not to breakdown while it's simmering in the pot. The salmon and bream that we cook always break apart into pieces, but that way, it taste great when poured and mixed with rice!!!

It's called Szechuan Spicy Fish something something. there're different types and different degrees of HOTNESS! If the packets do not have english translations.. just get anyone and then GOOD LUCK to u!!! Don't forget to slice the fish meat into bite-size pieces as well!

Good luck and hope you survive!!

i think you are right on timbo

everything i've learned about them is they prefer big rivers,dirty water, colour change lines and fast currents breaking into well defined eddies and there is plenty of all this in the brizzy river.

i dont think the noosa or the pine is dirty or big enough. the next major population of them is the mary river wich is bigger and dirtier than the brisbane.

viperon1982 wrote:

Hey guys, is this the Newstead pontoon where the sandbanks are?

Would like to know, is it public accessible and any NO FISHING signs around? Cheers! [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Newstead.jpg

Its public access. But there are no fishing signs.

However, at the risk of giving dodgy advice, just like at Bretts Wharf, we have always found that if you clean up after yourself no one seems to mind. In saying this, i guess it would still be \"Fish At Your Own Risk\" sort of thing. But we have never had any troubles.

Angus

Tim a wrote:

lee theres quite a few in the pine river aswell, my guess is that they are both muddy rivers and when ever I see them in dvd's about those lucky pricks up north who sight cast them they're always in really muddy murky water. anyone else?

Is the river portion of bretts wharf considered muddy or brackish? It looked pretty clean that night though, definitely much blue-er/greener than indooroopilly. The water at indooroo was reeeeally muddy and murky, very brownish, but Kiara has had a threaddie there and I lost a big one last week too! Perhaps there's no limit to where these king salmons can go! hehe!

jeff f wrote:

viperon try sections of the river that are sandy rather than muddy along the colmslie reach is is good for rays my biggest one there went14kg.

Alright, 1 more place to explore! Is there a pontoon or boat ramp accessible by the public as well?

Angus wrote:

Its public access. But there are no fishing signs.

However, at the risk of giving dodgy advice, just like at Bretts Wharf, we have always found that if you clean up after yourself no one seems to mind. In saying this, i guess it would still be \"Fish At Your Own Risk\" sort of thing. But we have never had any troubles.

Angus

Cool! I always make sure I leave the places I fish clean and neat. I try not to make a mess in the first place. Really hate going to places like shorncliffe where the benches and tables are full of scales, guts, leftover bait and god knows what else.. stinks man..

novrain wrote:

fantastic fantastic catch man....

gotta get out together one day soon

Real sorry mate, I'll try to inform u earlier the next time. Just that most if not all of my fishing trips aren't planned, all spontaneous! And most of them start late night and end next morning too, not a great time for anyone who's holding a stable job. hehe!

Gordo wrote:

Nicely done Kevin! I'm very impressed :P

Hey gordo, erm... who's Kevin? :huh:

There's a pontoon right next to the Colmslie boat ramp, but it might be hard to fish there with all the boats coming in and out.

And if you get kicked off the newstead pontoon, you can head about 20m down (away from the breaky ck mouth) and cast of the rock wall. You will just have to cast a little further.

Cowfish13 wrote:

There's a pontoon right next to the Colmslie boat ramp, but it might be hard to fish there with all the boats coming in and out.

And if you get kicked off the newstead pontoon, you can head about 20m down (away from the breaky ck mouth) and cast of the rock wall. You will just have to cast a little further.

Got it! My fishing times are usually late at night, so I guess there prob wouldn't be many boats.

Has anyone ever been kicked off the newstead pontoon!?!

As for the B.creek rock wall, will a 8\" rod do?

Cheers for that information btw!

I've never fished aon it, but I have never seen any official looking people hanging around Newstead. I have seen them while fishing of Bretts wharf and no problems. The city cat drivers wave to you as they go past at bretts.

An 8' rod would be fine, but there are more rocks around Brekky ck. If you go on the other side of the pontoon at newstead, there are sand flats a long way out with no rocks (except in close) as far as I could see. But it would be best to go around high tide. The sand bank goes about 2-3 metres out from rock wall during low tide.

Nah the guys at Newstead don't care, I was talking the parks ranger whilst fishing and he was telling me he liked it when people fished off there as he had someone to talk to. But the pontoon must be cleaned off and you must give way to the various boats that come and stop there.

Beefa wrote:

The newstead pontoon is that the one that starts just next to the story bridge?

If so what sort of species are caught along there? I am assuming alot of bream.

Cheers

nah mate it's at the mouth of breakfast creek on the north bank halfway between the story and the gateway

Archived