Which sounder GPS combo?

getrigged

Hi all,

I was going to upgrade the boat but I've talked myself out of it as nothing is wrong with it!

Anyway, with that not proceeding I'm going to spend a little on my current open tinny, things like new anchor well, redo the front casting deck, and replace my old black and white hummingbird sounder.

Which begs the question, which combo unit is the goods at the moment? Prob about $7-800?

Thanks for your advice

The Elite 5 DSI doesn't have Sonar is downscan only, i believe the Raymarine Dragonfly unit doesn't have side imaging only GPS,downscan and sonar.

I am sure someone will point out if i am wrong, personally i would never have a unit that doesn't have conventional sonar in it, cheers wayne

Getrigged go to the stores that have these units and have a play with them, ask plenty of questions and the salesman should ask you plenty as well so he can explain the benefits of each unit.

You will also find a unit with a simple menu that you find easy to use, no internet site can do this.

It's a lot of money and it's best to make the right decision first time cheers wayne

this has got me checking out the links you guys are posting and ive never had much luck getting my sounder to help me really... never use it for much more than a depth gauge...

just wondering with the raymarine unit thingo, is it possible to get it without the gps/charplotter? Ie just the downscanner thingo? i looked around the site but couldnt find it

cheers

this has got me checking out the links you guys are posting and ive never had much luck getting my sounder to help me really... never use it for much more than a depth gauge...

just wondering with the raymarine unit thingo, is it possible to get it without the gps/charplotter? Ie just the downscanner thingo? i looked around the site but couldnt find it

cheers

The Dragonfly comes with the GPS/Plotter function built into it but you can buy them without the charts for $680 if you wanted to save some money.

You do not need to run the GPS when using the unit.
/>http://www.reeltackle.com.au/index.php?option=com_ixxocart&Itemid=115&p=product&id=18864&parent=426&vendorid=2

Thanks Wayne,

It's so hard to work out the differences when looking online, flicking from one page to another

If your down at the wanderers social you can jump on and have a look at mine. Will take you for a quick spin. The photos you may have seen of mine were on auto settings for the downvision, no tinkering and I fluked the transducer position. I have a video of all of the menus and settings but havent edited it yet, its about 15 minutes.

Other unit worth considering would be 7inch Elite with gold Australia card GPS, Downscan and Sonar for under $1000.

Slightly more than you wanted to spend, but a great unit, cheers wayne

If you set your mind on one of thest keep your eye open for a BCF club night. They had one at their Capalaba store last night and were offering 20% off all navico ( lowrance and simrad)Saw quite a few sounders sold.

Cheers

Ray

hey youngy weve got an elite 4x which we put on the boat at the start of the year. to be honest have got minimal idea when it comes to using it... we often look for a change in depth or a ridge to fish on sure, but never actually use it to see 'fish' or bait.

should we be getting alot more out of our sounder or are we limited by its features?

No mate they are a reasonable unit and you should be able to pick up structure, bait fish and bigger fish as in fish arches.

Once you have had the unit for a while you should also be able to tell the type of bottom it is, wheather it's gravel, sand or mud.

I have a small colour HD Garmin similar to yours "but better in my opinion" that will do all of the above things i have mentioned, yours will do the same.

Don't know where you bought it from but go back there and ask them how to use it properly, this way you can get your moneys worth out of the unit, cheers wayne

+ 1 for the Dragonfly. I am really happy with mine, though I am still getting to know it better every trip. Very easy to use and the screen is really good for a relatively small unit, the maps are good and the downvision is a nice fun feature, but I agree with Youngy that the sounder is the most important mode. And + 100 for Aussie 123 as a vendor. He will look after you for sure.

Looks like most of the newer units are great technology so you probably won't go too far wrong no matter which way you go. Good luck.

Thanks for all the replies,

Similar to wise guy, I really only use my current black and white sounder for depth. Hoping to get more out of a new unit.

Plus saving some marks using the plotter.

Thanks regulated for the offer, but I can't make it to the social. I did see your review on the dragonfly unit and look forward to the video! Great review btw!

The sidescan looks cool on other units, but I think the downscan would do me.

Thanks for all input, I think I'll get the dragonfly off lance

Also, lance, do you offer pick up, instead of post? And do you, or can you, stock those plastic anchor wells that drop into the front of a tinny?

Pickup is fine here in Kingston.

I don't have anchor wells and not sure where to get one except from Quintrex.

They used to sell them but not sure about now though.

They still fit them into their boats so they should be available.

wow now you guys got me considering to change my mind, I have a Elite 5 GPS/Sounder on lay buy at BCF at the moment, after watching the ray marine video on YouTube im really liking that, im thinking of cancelling my lay buy and putting my cash on that. what's your guys thoughts...

Also, lance, do you offer pick up, instead of post? And do you, or can you, stock those plastic anchor wells that drop into the front of a tinny?

Pickup is fine here in Kingston.

I don't have anchor wells and not sure where to get one except from Quintrex.

They used to sell them but not sure about now though.

They still fit them into their boats so they should be available.

Thanks lance,

Bias sell the wells, but I was just wanting to steer the business your way ;)

Archived