Brisbane River Classic Fishing Competition 2007

MichaelJ

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Special mention here guys

Stu and Plaso Man, I gotta say hats off to you guys. It's no surprise that you produce the stonker fish you do but what I want to mention is \"what good sports you are\". You have no hesitation in giving up your hot spots and offering hints on techniques. Thanks guys, you are far dinkum good blokes, without hesitation you put the Chilly’s onto some ripper spots over that last 2 days.

I still remember the day at SS when you actually wave us over to share in the fish school you found. Thanks guys it would be nice if there was more like you.:)

Brian D wrote:

Special mention here guys

Stu and Plaso Man, I gotta say hats off to you guys. It's no surprise that you produce the stonker fish you do but what I want to mention is \"what good sports you are\". You have no hesitation in giving up your hot spots and offering hints on techniques. Thanks guys, you are far dinkum good blokes, without hesitation you put the Chilly’s onto some ripper spots over that last 2 days.

I still remember the day at SS when you actually wave us over to share in the fish school you found. Thanks guys it would be nice if there was more like you.:)

Totally agree with the above comments. Not only were you kind enough to show me where you got your 2 monsters yesterday but you then proceeded to point out a few more spots to try that have been working for you.

You pair are a class act and some Karma is comming your way.

username_taken wrote:

agreed! I took a peak at that spot today in the kayak, no monster bream, but a couple of cod, and something silver that jumped and spat the hook mid-air. There's plenty of structure between the boat-ramp and there too.

Yeah its a good area mate but you are only allowed to go 50m in the creeks/rivers off the main river so keep that in mind:unsure: ,But after the comp go crazy down there in between some of those moored boats I,ve landed some 30+cm ones there.:)

Thanks brian & Poly for the wrap :blush: but its all good fun even when you can put other people onto fish it just as good to watch how much fun there having,I think chubbs got onto a few at the \"yellow x\" too so that spot fished well today,We only took 6 from there and then cruised chasing squire so we left them there for you guys:P .

yeah, you'll regret it heaps if it turns out you missed out on 3rd. plus because of everyone seeing stu's monster there might be a lack of people weighing in good fish. If I get one over 35cm I'll definitely be weighing it in just in case.

Tonight though Kev and I have a date with a massive Cod that busted Kev off 4 times in 20 mins.

I'm taking my PENN Game fishing reel I used to use for 30Kg fish off shore down for Kev tonight so he has a chance at landing it! lol:P Seriously, it'll be hilarious. I wish I had a gimble belt. I'll get photos.:P;)

Well kev had his $700 MG7 locked tight with 23lb braid on a 17lb Loomis and it totally owned him. Just dove straight into cover tearing drag off his reel. You could see it was big by the thumps on his rod. It definitely wasn't a ray. Either a big cod or giant giant catfish.

I'd say more like 10-20Kg seriously!

It is impossible to land on his current set up, the fish probably barely felt any pressure.

I might tie a rope around his waist and tie him to a bar on the pontoon. Then get some sort of tool like a spanner to lock the drag on my big game overhead and then tie that rod off just in case. Let him hook it and then help him hold the rod! Ha ha:P

For anyone who wasn't awake and outside at 3.00am this morning here is a weather update...it absolutely p@#sed down rain! Complete with lightning we got some impressive storm action which normally I would quite enjoy early in the morning...nice to wake to the sound of heavy rain when you are warm and dry safely tucked into bed. Not so nice when you are collecting live bait and trying to launch a boat:S .

Once we managed to convince ourselves that the weather had broken, we loaded up in the (lighter) rain and headed off in search of some fish to validate our bravery and optimism (stupidity and desperation!)

Now the fishing...

Once again we caught a LOT of catfish.

They ranged in size from 20cm (bait) to 60cm+. We \"upgraded\" catties several times and Aaron weighed in a 2kg+ slimey beast.

Thankfully today we also found some other species. Brian caught a lovely 1kg + flattie on his favoutite lure (comes with a 5 minute catch guarantee!) and I caught a similar one on a 1/2 pillie from the same spot (thanks Stu and Plasticman).

The same location produced a pretty gold spot / estuary cod that went just legal at 35cm, so we kept hime alive and weighed him in (released to menace baitfish once more).

My thanks to Brian and Aaron's optimism as the formentioned weather would have had me heading home to bed, but I'm glad we stuck it out and caught some good fish for our efforts (and lots of catties too!)

Rocket

Photo of my pretty little cod b4 release.

[img size=336]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/xmas_tree_006.jpg

post-953-144598435439_thumb.jpg

:laugh: Southern Chilly's Kings of the Catfish:laugh: :laugh:

My day was rather pleasant. I hit the sunken wall for a couple of hour and scored a few 2-3Bream, 3-4 Moses Perch and a small Taylor.

Then I got told about SPOT X, so off I went. Had a bit of fun there with many Bream landed, A rippa 45cm Cod and a large Taylor(I did'nt measure it).

I keep hooking something BIG. It was pulling drag with ease, I'm sure it didn't even know it was hooked. It would just swim away, nice and slow taking my line with it. I have a rod with 12lb braid and 14lb leader that it just snapped like cotton. It was not only big, it was smart because it wouldn't touch my Snelled Pilly with wire trace. I'll be there tomorrow to try to get a look at this *Monster*.

See you all at the weigh in tomorrow, BE THERE OR BE SQUARE.

Jayson

hit up aquarium passage again this morning, got there around 5am, scooted around, caught a 53cm flatty (lunch!) and a 33cm Cod on the way to the monster bream spot. Plenty of strikes at that spot, but I couldn't for the life of me convert them, I think they must have been bream, I never manage to set the hook in them on plastics.

3\" swimming mullet in nuc chicken, and 4\" alives in pumpkinseed did the damage.

DSC03044.JPG

DSC03046.JPG

kevinchen19870316 wrote:

team marlin has decided that our cod mission's over due to that we failed to get any 400lb mono. we think that we can hook plenty of those monsters but we r sure not able to land them. so on the third day we would be fishing for fun, we will cast some massive poppers and surface lures for marlin landbased

I'm almost positive that you can get 400 lb leader at BCFB)

Archived