Possession Limits

fifis101

Just a couple possession limit questions guys.

When it comes to possession limits, they are per person right but what about people living in the same household? Say if the possession limit is 10pp, does that mean my wife and I can catch 20 to take home?

Also, what if a mate and I go out fishing and catch 20 fish (10 each) but he doesn't want any, can I take them all home as I have two people living at home?

You clarity would be much appreciated.

Possession limits at home work basically on an honesty system.

By law you are only allowed the limit per person in possession so if you and your wife caught your 10 fish each you can legally have them at home.

Also you legally cannot catch anymore until you get rid of any fish so if you eat 5 fish you can only keep 5 on your next outing.

The problem is who's 5 fish did you eat so that's where the supposed honesty system comes into play.

Fisheries also have to prove who owns what fish in the freezer so in reality it's an impossible law to enforce unless you have more fish than the people in the house.

As for your mates fish,you cannot have those 20 fish in your possession unless he is with you on your way home as you are then in possession of more than your allowed quota.

He could go home with you and give them to you but you then need to allocate those fish into your total possession limit in your house.

No needed to contact fisheries, they spell it out quite clearly in their regulations I believe....(presuming we are talking about QLD)

Why do we have possession limits?

A possession limit refers to the total number of fish an individual can legally take and have in their possession at any one time - it does not apply on a per day basis. This includes the fish you have caught previously that are in your freezer at home.

REFERENCE: http://www.daff.qld.gov.au/fisheries/recreational/rules-regulations/size-possession-limits-tidal

So yes, if the limit is 10, then you and your wife can take 20 of that species home. If you eat 2 and have 18 in the freezer and you go fishing again and catch another 2, I'd suggest that the two you ate were your wifes, otherwise you would be 'in possession' of 12.

If you and your mate caught your 10 each, and on arrival at your place he said you could have them, then I guess it would be hard to prove that they don't belong to someone else living under the same roof.

What's the situation if you buy whole fish from a co-cop and store them in your freezer? I'm not sure if they could expect a receipt as evidence for the whole time those fish are there? A can of worms for sure.....

Also dont forget if you keep frames for crab bait, that still fish in your possession!

Dont make it simple do they!

Also it is not uncommon for them to role up and check freezers. The Grey nomads staying in Hervey Bay caravan parks last season copped a few visits from them. Lots got fined to!

Treat the ocean and its life as you would have liked those before you to have done, keep a feed not a slaughter, sustainability is the responsibility of everyone.

Someone has hijacked callum's account :blink:

:silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly: :silly:

Archived