Pin today - not much to report

Old Scaley

So despite the ugly forecast, I decided to take advantage of my first real family-free day to get out for a fish. Left Cabbage Tree Pt at about 5.15am with a bit of wind around but not too bad. Wind picked up pretty quickly so didn't venture too far. Hard to fish plastics, even in the lee of the islands out of the wind, so wen to bait. Tried mullet strips and pilchards for a few little catties. Managed a couple of good muddies, which keeps me in the good books at home.

Lost one pot, but can't work out how. I had 3 pots out and was only fishing 100 metres away from them and could see all 3 floats. Went to pick them up and there were only 2 to be found???? I figured that a submerged object (eg. log) drifting under the surface in the fast current must have picked up the rope and dragged the marker under the surface. Looked up and down the area using downvision, but didn't find it so it is probably a navigation hazard now. A bit frustrating since I am heading up to Burrum Heads on Saturday for a week so will need to get a couple of new pots.

Glad I had a mate to help me at the ramp - it was a real b#tch today in the 25+ knot winds and a strong current. Here is a picture of the muddies because there is nothing else to show. Still enjoyed getting out there despite the conditions and lack of fish.

post-2981-144599021995_thumb.jpg

I have used those cheap pots from BCF in the past. They do the job and the price is right. I found that the rings went rusty after a few uses and the poly tubing arrangement gets a bit annoying. For the last few years I have been using the $40 jobs from Tackle Warehouse. they are easy to use but are only a 2 entry pot and it wasn't until I read a helpful post on this site that I discovered the importance of laying the pots with the entries in line with current flow. This improved my catch rate.

I have only lost 2 pots in the last 5 years so will look at getting the mid range pots again. BTW, the crabs were nice and full and made a great meal last night.n :cheer:

I have 8 of the Crab n Gear orange pots that have been used 6 times. I no longer use them because I changed to pop up net that makes moving in the river a lot easier in my small boat. If anyone is interested in making an offer on them let me know. Note: I am a paid up member just haven't got round to advertising them in the for sale section and thought it maybe useful in this thread. ;)

I have 8 of the Crab n Gear orange pots that have been used 6 times. I no longer use them because I changed to pop up net that makes moving in the river a lot easier in my small boat. If anyone is interested in making an offer on them let me know. Note: I am a paid up member just haven't got round to advertising them in the for sale section and thought it maybe useful in this thread. ;)

Does that mean that they are not collapsible? Sorry, not familiar with the product.

No they are collapsible and have pvc uprights to install when in use.

click on link http://www.crabngear.com.au/our-services

I have the pup pops which are easier for myself and my son. Can't be bothered disassembling the other one every time we move. with 8 pots float around the boat not much room for the occupants.

This is what I upgraded to.
/>http://www.crabngear.com.au/pup-pot

Archived