28/1/14 Report

Luvit

My brother Darrin and his family have spent the last 3 weeks with my family for some R & R. Coming from Melbourne he was keen to catch a new species, a bass.

We hit the river about 5.30am and started with surface cicada lures and for the first hour we had no strikes. I thought I would change to a shallow diver to see if that would change things. It did with a 34cm bass coming to the yak shortly after, no photo, hard to hold phone and fish at the same time because Darrin was down the river a bit. Daz persisted with the surface lure and from down the river I hear HOOK UP! however the first one got away. His confidence was high with the cicada and then 5 more missed surface hits he lands his first monster bass :blush:

post-11868-144599026845_thumb.jpg

He was still very happy.

My next hit resulted in my micro mullet being snapped off as the culprit headed for home. Amazingly enough 10 minutes latter and 50m down stream I see my bright pink micro mullet floating :)

The surface action had slowed so I suggested we change to deeper divers as the sun was getting higher. We went to the flicker shads and Daz hooks a good fish that has him in the snags with 6lb leader. after releasing the pressure and learning to paddle a yak one handed the fish swam free.

He was rewarded with a solid yellow belly.

post-11868-144599026856_thumb.jpg

post-11868-144599026866_thumb.jpg

We had a couple of other missed hits but we enjoyed a great morning.

Darrin could not believe the wild life we saw in such a small time frame.

a Platypus, many water dragons, Python and a friendly tree frog. He recons one of the best fresh sessions he's had and loved the kayaking stealth.

post-11868-144599026877_thumb.jpg

post-11868-144599026883_thumb.jpg

All in all we got out 3 times in between my own work commitments. One crabbing, 7 bucks, once for Jacks and caught exactly that jack and finally the report above.

Heading to Melbourne myself for work tomorrow and staying for the weekend and hopefully heading out to go Mako shark fishing with my youngest brother.

Thanks for reading.

cheers

Wayne

Just the one bass for me Kel and a bust off and 2 missed hits.

Been a while since I went Mako fishing and have some video somewhere that has a 60kg Mako leaping 9 ft out of the air with a somersault when were fishing off Philip Island in Victoria. Another time one jumped at the boat and nearly cleaned me up but hit the cuddy cabin of the boat, thank god. But that's what makes it so exciting.

In the Pine.

With the PM's not working, just send me a text if you want to know more. 0412808823. :)

Good to hear :)

Planning on heading there this Saturday arvo/ night for a crab and shark all this wind and rain not only keeps people off the water, it brings the crabs out.

Archived