Catching Bar Cod - Round 2

aussie123

Yesterday with the good weather predicted we decided to head out to the continental shelf again and have another crack at some more Bar Cod in the deep water.

After a choppy crossing of the bay we rounded the top of Moreton into a beautiful sunrise and calm seas so down with the throttles and off we go.

We decided to have another look at the grounds we fished the other day where we caught some cracking cod up to 27kg's.

Once we arrived we set everything up and the very first drop my mate hooked one that went 27.7kg, a great start to the day.

We fished this area until 11am with no more fish to be landed.

We agreed that we needed to find some new ground so after studying the lay out of our marks in the plotter we decided that there may be some more ground out wider in some deeper water so off we go just cruising around at about 8 knots and searching for any signs of fish and bottom structure.

Not long after we came across a show of bait but they were on very flat boring looking bottom.

We checked this area out as we knew there could be ground near by that was attracting this bait to the area.

Eventually we found it and there was bait and fish all over it.

After checking our drift and the current speed we lined up our first shot and sent our baits down and we were on the moment our baits hit the bottom.

It didn't take long before we put 15 good cod into the ice box.

These were school sized fish and not the honkers we had been catching on the other grounds but still good fish and good fun catching them.

We lost a lot of fish for the day and we caught several double headers as well a far too many green eye sharks.

We had to leave early due to my mate having family commitments so we left the fish biting their heads off.

I reckon there will be more new ground in this area to discover so we are keen to get back out there and have another look around.

post-7680-144599037388_thumb.jpg

post-7680-144599037403_thumb.jpg

post-7680-144599037413_thumb.jpg

post-7680-144599037418_thumb.jpg

Local Sydney Fish markets Kelvin.

We sent some to Sydney which sold today for $16kg

This lot should pay more though as they are smaller fish and better suited to all the restaurant buyers.

These went down today and will sell on tomorrows floor.

Gee that makes a 27kg fish worth a bit then!!!! Although given the distance/effort that goes into catching them they would want to be worth a bit I suppose!! I've been to those markets once and they are awesome.

These are a high end fish Kelvin.

As good as they are they are not worth as much in QLD as they are competing against high value fish like Emporers and Trout so they are better off going to Sydney.

The markets are a great experience to see.

If i had a load of fish or prawns on the floor and bad weather we would jump in the car and drive down to Sydney and watch my product get sold.

Being a supplier to the markets I would get a VIP pass so we could wander around the place any where we wanted and sit in on the live auctions and watch my stuff sell.

They also gave us free parking and free breakfast which was good.

It was a terrific day out down there and something that I do miss these days.

Seriously Lance, EVERYTIME you post something, I learn something.

Thank you for always putting in the time to share your knowledge and info in each post.

When you go off the shelf. What kind of depths are you dropping into? and what weight sinkers are you dropping? is it like anywhere else where it's dependent on the current at the time?

Thank you for always putting in the time to share your knowledge and info in each post.

When you go off the shelf. What kind of depths are you dropping into? and what weight sinkers are you dropping? is it like anywhere else where it's dependent on the current at the time?

Thanks Henry

We have been fishing anywhere out to 400m but the depth varies depending on how much current is running

We have been using 5lb sinkers but my mate did go up to 10lb the other day but that was more due to an issue with his reel and not so much the currents.

When I had my boats I used to fish out to 800m when chasing Blue Eye Trevalla, Oilfish and Broadbill.

Thanks Henry

We have been fishing anywhere out to 400m but the depth varies depending on how much current is running

We have been using 5lb sinkers but my mate did go up to 10lb the other day but that was more due to an issue with his reel and not so much the currents.

When I had my boats I used to fish out to 800m when chasing Blue Eye Trevalla, Oilfish and Broadbill.

Awesome two trips old man! ;-)

When I finally get some electric reels, I'll be dragging you out to the shelf with me. :-) Those barcod looks freaking awesome

What's with this Old Man crap Jullian,lol

I will run rings around you in a boat any day, bring it on boy !!!!! :P:P:P

When you get some electrics I will take you out for a fish but we will go further than the Bar Cod.

They are good fun but there is far better fishing out there to be had with other species that are up to 4 times bigger.

Your boat is big enough to go wide and start searching for some ground out in the deep water.

There is some canyons out there that I want to go have a look at and see if we can get the ooglies out of the canyon walls. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

What's with this Old Man crap Jullian,lol

I will run rings around you in a boat any day, bring it on boy !!!!! :P:P:P

When you get some electrics I will take you out for a fish but we will go further than the Bar Cod.

They are good fun but there is far better fishing out there to be had with other species that are up to 4 times bigger.

Your boat is big enough to go wide and start searching for some ground out in the deep water.

There is some canyons out there that I want to go have a look at and see if we can get the ooglies out of the canyon walls. :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Knew I'd get a bite! :-)

That would be something which would motivate me enough to save for 2 electrics! How far offshore did go with Shane?

That will do it Damien, sounder needs some punch if he has a 600w or 1kw transducer the sounder can probably be configured for the deep.

Then all you need is some electric reels and to hire Lance to teach you some tricks.

I'll be upgrading to a 1kw through-hull before I head out that far. Next year will be my goal. I'll be saving for http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Daiwa-Tanacom-1000-Electric-Fishing-Reel-BRAND-NEW-at-Ottos-Tackle-World-/301089897492?pt=AU_FishingReels&hash=item461a5b3c14 as well. I've also herd good things about the Alvey deck winches like the reef master, but look at the price on ebay, the electrics and alvey come in at the same!

• 2 weeks later...

To be honest with you, I would be looking a bit further than a Tanacom Bull. I'm not writing them off, I actually own one that has served me well for three years (much longer than the other brand I used at the time before I changed to Shimanos) , but has had very limited bar cod use. You will notice the size of the reels in my boat (I drive while Lance fixes stuff), they are a lot bigger than what your Tanacom Bull will be. They are more suited to fishing the 100-150m country for smaller species than barrys and blue eye. You will notice the smaller electric in one of the photos, its a Shimano Beastmaster 9000, I use it when conditions allow a third rod and I have capable deckies, and its always rigged lighter in case the fish are being fussy bastards. That reel can handle it, but they are quite a bit more expensive than the Daiwa. The Daiwa will do it, and do it reasonably well, but if you get two big boys on you are in serious trouble. Would just hate to see you save your hard earned on something that may not last or will disappoint, I'd suggest save a bit harder or longer and get the shimano. Dont buy a Miya epoch, especially the smaller ones, as they will let you down.....

Hope this helps in some small way,

Shane

Archived