Jigging Somerset

JarrydA

Havent posted a report for a while so i thought i'd throw up a quick report from a trip on saturday up to Somerset.

The Aim of the day was to track down some schooling transition bass and target them using the new Damiki Back Drop micro jigs.

Armed with a plethora of Lowrance electronics (HDS12 and HDS9) we set off around the dam trying to track down the schools, unfortunately all the normal spots yielded no results only marking solitary fish on the sounder.

After a while we decided to go and check out some steep rock banks in hope of a yella.

We found what we were looking for!

Here is a screenshot of what we were looking at.

post-10420-144599047894_thumb.jpg

At first we werent sure if they were bass or yellowbelly, So i opted to drop down a red damiki z-glider ice jig as a start as i know that both bass and yellas love them. First drop they were all over it and i was straight on the board with a cracker somerset yella!

48cm and FAT.

post-10420-144599047904_thumb.jpg

Next on the board was Justin vertically jigging a plastic in the school.

post-10420-144599047919_thumb.jpg

After this i changed to the micro jig.

It payed off!

Landing another nice yella this time on the micro jig, they were all over it.

post-10420-144599047909_thumb.jpg

Remi was next to strike gold landing his fish on the Damiki Vault blade, again jigged through the school.

post-10420-144599047925_thumb.jpg

After this the bite went a bit quiet and we had to do a bit of moving around to find the school, but we found them again and i managed to pull another 40ish cm yella from the school before we had to head home.

post-10420-144599047935_thumb.jpg

Had a great morning and it was awesome to work on and succeed with a new technique.

Well done Jarryd with some nice yellas there.

Those Damiki Back Drop jigs are taking fish right across the country now.

I am hoping to fish them in 250 meters next week if the weather clears a bit for us as the large snapper and flamies should take them really well out there and hopefully the bar cod as well.

Well done, its great what some fish will take, even more so when they are trying to beat thier mate to it. Been doing well lately on metal slugs.Never heard the term schooling transitional bass before, just goes to show you can learn something each day.

Dino

What are the green and blue screens on your sounder there? mid 400's is not a frequency option on my elcheapo sounders!

They are both structure scan. Green one is downscan, The blue is side scan.

Never heard the term schooling transitional bass before, just goes to show you can learn something each day.

I guess you could call me a pioneer for the term dino, as im pretty sure i just made it up :P

I merely used it to describe the way bass seem to go from spreading out in summer to heavily schooling in winter. Now being the transition period when they are deciding where to go and what to do :)

Anywhere not online have them locally?

I tried to check them out the other in the flesh but could not find any.

I want to try long casts and diagonal jigging at straddy :)

Angus

Tacklewarehouse have some stock gus, The Tackle Shop Carseldine will have all colours today.

That technique will work im sure, everything seems to eat jigs.

Archived