Amity Nth Stradbroke Island Social

tugger

2 Cars and 2 Boats and a good crew of blokes headed over to Nth Stradbroke Island last week where we rented a house right on the water at Amity just minutes away from south passage bar the door step to great offshore fishing. The crew were Myself , Colin , Ted , Lance , Ben , Andrew , Duncan , Mackenzie , Brendan the house we stayed in was only 100m from the boat ramp and right behind the shop at Amity.

post-4390-14459905863_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144599058643_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144599058649_thumb.jpg

We fished most days as the weather was great all week and with a tiny swell the bar was flat all week we got out on the 1st day (friday) after unloading our gear we got offshore for an arvo fish and I targeted the rock for some good moses perch and the odd snapper. The next day we got out again for the morning for a fish, I had Ben and his missus with me we hit the rock again the fishing was a bit slow but Mackenzie had never been out there before and saw plenty of whales up close which made her day.

post-4390-144599058655_thumb.jpg

Sunday I had to head back over to the mainland for my kids touch footy finals and once that finished I caught the water taxi back to the island mid arvo and had a beer in my hand again while kicking back on the water front. Monday we got out again Colin and Ben came out with me to the 33's off Moreton Island where we got stuck in to plenty of good size snapper and Ben got his 1st Pearlie

post-4390-144599058662_thumb.jpg

Teds crew headed out to the shelf to chase bar cod but dropped the only 1 they found out there but on the way back in they came across a large steel pipe floating vertically with fish all around it. These big fish could be seen hunting small fish around the pipe the big fish spotted were Wahoo, Kingies, Amberjack, Dolphin fish the boys started to flick baits at them and hooked up to a couple of big dollies Ted landed his fish but the other bigger Dollie got away. Here is Teds PB dolphin fish now going 1.2m on the mat

post-4390-144599058669_thumb.jpg

The next day my same crew headed back to the rock where the Spanish mackerel were on we had many big strong runs once they hooked up but most shook their heads heavily and broke the wire leader but Colin managed to get his 1st Spanaird to the boat. The unstoppables are back at the rock and each trip out here saw us hook up to them only to be dusted on the reef. Here is Colins PB Spanish mackerel going 1.25m on the mat

post-4390-144599058675_thumb.jpg

post-4390-14459905868_thumb.jpg

Wednesday the wind was blowing strong from the west and even though it would have been alright to fish the rock in that wind and direction we called it a day off fishing and Ted Colin and myself went for a drive to Point Lookout. Here we got some sausage rolls and walked out on to the head land where some people were saying that Migaloo the white whale was in sight. We wandered down the track a bit and sure enough Migaloo was swimming by the headland shame I didn't have a big lense on a camera as my little camera just picks him up you could see it was him clearly with the naked eye.

post-4390-144599058686_thumb.jpg

A little further down the track is 1 of the rocky inlets where we checked out the caves and some bait balls in the clear water getting hit by larger fish after this we headed down to the point lookout pub for a beer

post-4390-144599058691_thumb.jpg

To rap up our lay day we got on the drink and played cards feasting on our nibblies back at the house and finished with a big barbie here we hatched our plan for the next day offshore. Thursday we started off early and made our way back up to the 33's here I was on fire landing many good snapper on my new rod and reel combo which I picked up just before the trip it is a ugly stick 10 to 15kg rod matched with a shimano torium 20 spooled with 300m of 30lb platypus platinum mono. Here I got my best snapper for about 3 years going 82cm on the mat he was pulling hard and had distorted both hooks I was using

post-4390-144599058697_thumb.jpg

post-4390-144599058703_thumb.jpg

Here is the hooks that distorted on the big snapper

post-4390-144599058709_thumb.jpg

We finished the day back at boat rock picking up some nice parrot before we spotted Kelvins anchor rope he lost early in the week it had a small float on and the current had dropped out all together bringing it back to the surface. After we got back the other anchor and rope we went over to a large fish floating on the surface which turned out to be a big black spot cod just over 1.1m in length its swim bladder had ruptured and was still alive but it would not have survived so we took it home to give our crew some nice cod fillets.

My crew of Ben and Colin ended up with 5 PB's each for the week with Pearl Perch each, Spanish mackerel, Moses perch, Parrot, Snapper being the fish they now have good size fish to add to their PB's list. The week was awesome over at the Island and the end came around all to quick I had a ball with a top bunch of blokes and will be very keen to do it again next year until then bring on 2015

What an amazing week again on Straddie with the best bunch of guys.

The fishing overall was great and most guys caught numerous PB's and first species ever.

The weather was great but the Westerlies played havoc some mornings making it hard to drift over the reefs and stay on the schools of fish.

At one stage the wind was pushing us so hard that I was using 64 ounces of lead and I still could not hold the bottom but I still managed to catch some great fish.

I had a mate pick me up at the wharf on the Sunday morning and we snuck out to the continental shelf for the day and we bagged some lovely cod again.It was a good day and everything we did seemed to work well and over the day we managed a nice bag of fish.

The trip home was superb as the seas only flattened off more the closer we got to the bar.

Anyway I am already looking forward to next years trip.

post-7680-144599058751_thumb.jpg

post-7680-144599058762_thumb.jpg

post-7680-144599058771_thumb.jpg

post-7680-14459905878_thumb.jpg

That was a week over on the Island that is hard to beat I think this house worked out better than the 1 the year before it had plenty more room inside for us and all our gear. We had a new face to our socials with Duncan joining us this trip he fitted in well with our group and looked like he enjoyed the whole week.

So if anyone would like a trip like this and see's it pop up next year don't be shy and jump right in there is plenty to do with the boys doing beach and kayak fishing that hasn't been mentioned yet (not my expertise) as well as using our boats . We will post up a thread next year to help plan the next trip so keep an eye out for it if your keen to join us.

Was talking to Lance about the house called 'Amity Pines 2' with the 7 rooms and 15 people it can accomadate for the same price we payed this year it will give us plenty more room for boats and extra people. I have already had more interest from other guys wanting to bring their boats next year so we are leaning towards this house to book.

I will sound everyone out about it who came this year as well as anyone else wanting to join us for the week and will give plenty of notice to book holidays at work. I was also looking at the best time of year to go and will likely go with the week from the 20th to the 27th of july 2015 this will have the new moon fall on the 24th july right in the middle of the week for best fishing. It also has making tides all week at dawn for our bar crossings this also should give us the safest times for getting offshore early morning.

some good options there Mark.

Have a look at joining us Henry we are already planning next year if you have book holidays think about this week it is my favourite week of the year and the guys that have done the last 2 years want to make this a yearly trip over there.

looks like another amazing trip organised Mark. Well done crew and i'm very jealous I was instead in an office dreaming about being out there.

Looks like we will have a 3rd big boat to join us next year but there will be room for another 2 and their crew and we still have 12 months to plan an awesome week over there next year

Thanks for the offer. Will be a great week Mark. I'm looking forward to it!

If the stradie ferries run the winter specials again you get the boat and trailer over for free it will just cost the price for a single car which we have all split with our deckies each trip making very affordable for everyone. So with $45 each for the ferry and $100 each for the house then we all chip in $50 each for food the week should be around $200 each plus costs of fishing trips which tallied to $100 each in my boat for 5 offshore trips. Bloody cheap week for a island holiday plenty of room for big boats to park in the houses acerage we should have plenty of keen fishos coming over next year

• 2 weeks later...

Another great trip by the sounds of it guys, shame you didn't have the token pom with you this year. :lol:

Nice to keep an eye on how things are going out there. Would you believe it we're actually having a summer back in blighty this year, who've thought!!!

Another great trip by the sounds of it guys, shame you didn't have the token pom with you this year. :lol:

Nice to keep an eye on how things are going out there. Would you believe it we're actually having a summer back in blighty this year, who've thought!!!

It was a great trip this year again. Weather was slightly better as well. Have you had any news on getting back over here again?

It was cold out fishing a couple of days that would have matched your spring in pomgolia , sensational fishing and company as usual at Stradie and we will do it again next year stay tuned

It was a great trip this year again. Weather was slightly better as well. Have you had any news on getting back over here again?

Fraid not Ted, looks like my roots are well and truly planted here for now. Buying a house and getting married in the next fortnight so that's pretty definitive. Although doesn't mean I wont be trying my damnedest to sort a trip out at some point in the distant future.

In the mean time I'll just have to get my aussie/game fishing fix watching you boys pull out the biguns! :(

It was cold out fishing a couple of days that would have matched your spring in pomgolia , sensational fishing and company as usual at Stradie and we will do it again next year stay tuned

Good to hear the unstoppables didnt let you down this year as well.

Haha, pomgolia, that's a new one. I'll defo keep my eyes peeled but more likely it'll be more than 12 months before my hotly anticipated return! :lol:

Archived