1st bass on a spinnerbait!

Joe K

Hi Guys,

I have only ever fished bass with hardbody crank baits, surface lures and bibless cranks. Spinnerbaits just looked too far out to me and I've never used them. After reading Dino and Luke's report yesterday, I bought a few spinnerbaits to try out. Fished landbased at one of my fav spots and after losing 2 deep diving crank baits I took out the Bassman and after a dozen casts the spinnerbait was smashed 4 metres from my feet! With snags everywhere I just lifted the rod and held on. The fish felt close to 2kg and after 90 seconds I saw a beaut fat bass come to the surface. It measured 51cm. What a great 1st fish on a spinnerbait! A school of bass must have appeared as I got 5 more bass and called it a day. A big thank you to Dino and Luke.

Cheers... Joe.

post-10975-144599078509_thumb.jpg

post-10975-144599078518_thumb.jpg

post-10975-144599078524_thumb.jpg

Thanks a lot guys. I enjoy walking in the sun and taking in the fresh air while enjoying the scenery of our beautiful dams. Catching a fish is always a bonus! I'm off to my local tackle shop to learn more about spinnerbaits and to stock up on some new colours. Happy Fishing!

Cheers... Joe.

Haha! Pity I didn't have a towel for the reel. Freshwater and dirt are not as bad as saltwater and sand. Slipping off the rocks is even worse for the fishing reel. That's another story.

With spinnerbaits I am only a novice. I guess the willow and colarado creates flashing and turbulence to grab the bass's attention. And the skirt mimics a baitfish telling the bass "Breakfast is served"!

I went out for a quick flick after breakfast. With the sun high up in a cloudless sky I managed 2 fat bass (39 & 40 cm) on the white skirted Bassman. No bass pics today as they were camera-shy jumping all over the place and back into the water. Attached pic is the beaut water I was fishing in today.

post-10975-14459907879_thumb.jpg

Archived