Bluefin comp round up.

Binder

Well Ray and I traveled out to Maroon for the Bluefin comp.

Bigger again this year, 460 odd competitors, 600 odd in the camp ground, packed like sardines in the tin!

This year camping was allowed down by the water, so Ray and I thought we were cunning getting there early and getting a prime spot on one of the flat areas, pity about everyone then camping us in, I couldn't move my car for the whole weekend! but everyone was in good spirits, even the @rseholes who like to share their loud music with the world were subdued, loud music started up a few times but didn't last long.

Fishing was tough, the spangled perch were very hungry and the bass were small. Ray and I would have been flat out boating a dozen legal bass over the long weekend. But the bigger ones were scattered about, Ray thought he was in with a shot with a 45cm bass on Saturday, but someone scored a 47 on sunday to knock him off. I had a good silver at 36.5 to just be top of the board saturday, but well and truly trounced on sunday a 44cm. Spent all weekend trying to catch a cattie, but couldn't manage it. Turns out if I had managed one over 40cm I would have been home and hosed, but it was not to be.

camp ground was pretty full!

post-11051-144599083196_thumb.jpg

It is always a pretty place to be,.

post-11051-144599083206_thumb.jpg

these young blokes new how to beat the heat

post-11051-144599083213_thumb.jpg

Silver was definitely in the good paddock

post-11051-14459908322_thumb.jpg

Bass were really skinny.

post-11051-144599083228_thumb.jpg

post-11051-144599083234_thumb.jpg

nothing like cubic bucks to go with cubic inches - Ski row.

post-11051-144599083241_thumb.jpg

Lots of small bass

post-11051-144599083247_thumb.jpg

even more of these mongrels

post-11051-144599083253_thumb.jpg

local wildlife very tame, black swans normally wont let you within a hundred metres, these fella's didn't care at all.

post-11051-14459908326_thumb.jpg

With the quality prizes on offer this comp is bound to keep growing each year.

The kids and I enjoyed it the first year but decided against it this year with the all up costs of the entry,camping,food & and then the shrimps on top, made for an enjoyable but expensive weekend last year.

I like mingling with people but I'm not one for big crowds, so I'll look to be doing other trips now that it has become so popular.

Thanks for the report Andrew. :)

Did well in our shrimp pots this year, probably 15 or better in each pot left in over night. So didn't need to buy any shrimp. (Except for those without restrictors, just seemed to have big redclaw in those!)

I'm not fussed on large numbers of people either, but everyone got on well, didn't have to cue any more than a couple of minutes for anything, except the single shower, I gave up on that idea. Anyway - It's not a blokes weekend away if you dont end up smelling manly ;)

Archived