Togas on the bite

Joe K

Hi Guys,

Fished one of my local dams targeting togas with my brother on Tuesday. Third cast and we have a hookup. After some acrobatics I have it in the esky and dash home to put it in my new fish tank. 

Went out again today and it's like the movie Groundhog Day. Third cast and another hookup, more acrobatics and it's in the esky for the dash home to keep his mate, 2 catfish and a bass company. 

Happy New Year Everyone!:ausflag:

Cheers... Joe. 

image.png

Hi Albinus! I was using the Lucky Craft Sammy 85. Depending on the area targeted many topwater lures (poppers, walk-a-dog, frogs lures & surface crank baits) and even 1 metre crank baits will catch togas. Impoundment dams that release toga fingerlings all hold these beaut sport fish. Once hooked, togas go ballistic out of the water and put on a great acrobatic show. 

Cheers... Joe. 

Hi Kmcrosby78! Thanks mate! It always gives me a buzz whenever I land a toga bcos they always put on a beautiful acrobatic display. The Ist fish was damaged by the trebles so I put salt in the tank to help it heal. I will release it when the wound heals up. It's toga season so I hope to have an 80cm plus toga in the tank soon. 

Cheers... Joe. 

• 1 month later...

Hi Elops,

Yes, the salt water healed the damage  done by the trebles and it started feeding on live shrimps within 10 days. I did not notice any signs of stress on the fish.  My sis-in-law had been waiting six months for a Saratoga Jardini from her local aquarium and she begged me for it (Saratoga Leichardti), so it's now in her tank. I appreciate you asking after the fish. 

image.png

Archived