To Photograph Or Not To Photograph

Angus

Well this has been a repetitive on this site and others since I have been reading fishing forums.

A few emails here and there have provided some clarification (sometimes contradictory) but this is the firmest statement I have seen from a media perspective.

http://www.cairnspost.com.au/fisheries-clarifies-barramundi-photo-rules-during-far-north-closed-season/story-fnnjfpar-1227703763083

All in all it is fairly clear from a legal perspective: Yes, while not encouraged taking a picture IS NOT illegal.

I guess it just comes down to the ethics of each angler but it does close the argument from a moderation point of view a least.

Angus 

An interesting post by Garry Fitzgerald that I am thinking probably came about due to this article. This is where everyone can evaluate their own ethics on the matter aside from the strict letter of the law. My personal stand point has always been to not target in closed season (obviously) and to not photograph and post any accidental captures in an effort to not encourage a situation, legal or otherwise.

"I'd like to anounce that Qld Fisheries (DAF) is officially a spineless & toothless tiger.

Unenforcable legislation / regulations on closed season species allowing pictures taken of protected fish is not management, it's appeasment on multiple levels. Appeasement of anglers who don't understand the reason for closed season, AND appeasement of the conservationists who do see the need; DAF get's to say "we have closed season regs in place". 
Short of fillets in the freezer, how are the field staff ever to enforce the regs when the minister says you can keep a fish out of the water for pictures.

Add to that the lack of action on people intentionally targetting endargered species like Mary River Cod, oh & let's not forget the on-going release of Sooty Grunter in the Mary River, the taking or Tilapia & Carp, the intentional transolcation of the above plus redclaw being sold as live bait & being released into the Murray Darling.

OH, and the icing on the cake is all of these foreign fish still being sold in the aquarium trade, many of which will readily breed in our waterways to the detriment of endemic species.

All the while one of our last reasearch teams is about to lose it's only boat. 
I mean What The $%^& ?? Seriously.......

DAF as a govt department is doing an absolutely terrible job.

The only way to rectify this BS is to see some heads roll, starting with a department head or two and the DG. Then a full rethink of what the depatments role is, add in community expectations, then put processes and staff in place to reflect that role.

Manage the fishery or don't. You can't get half pregnant.......

What do you think"???

This has come from Garry Fitzgerald's Fishing facebook page if anyone wanted to comment to him directly as well: https://www.facebook.com/garryfitzgerald.fishing?fref=nf

Cheers.

Angus

Archived