Stolen Gear from Awoonga Gateway Cabins.

rayke1938

Sorry to put a dampener on the site.

As mentioned in the Awoonga thread some of us had gear stolen from where we were staying on Saturday night.

Compared to others I was lucky in that I only lost a top end ugly stick and shimano reel and a tray full of my new hypervipers and a few crazy deeps.

Graham Pflaum lost a large Plano 4 tray tackle box chock a block with a 3 year collection of all his lures all top quality stuff conservatively valued at over $500, a $139 swiss army knife.

He also lost a $500 gold coloured daiwa baitcaster and a custom made loomis overhead rod.

This rod has a distinctive one of a kind transfer on it.

I will attach a photo of the transfer that was made before it was attached to the rod.

If anyone sees this rod please notify the nearest police station and tell them the matter is being looked after by the Tannum Sands station.

(Booty they are a great bunch up there very helpfull and sympathetic) [img size=500]http://www.australianfishing.com.au/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/IMG_9559_AFO.jpg

post-230-144598430614_thumb.jpg

Mack_attack wrote:

was any of your gear insured?

I am w3ith NRMA and reply on sunday was no but I rang them again today and got a different person and she was confident that my gear may be covered by my household contents policy so i have to ring her back tomorrow and submit a claim. My problem is going to produce reciepts as the rod was purchased at a garage sale and the reel from ebay.

Graham has yet to contact his company.

Ray

if i see the gear with some one ray ill stick them straight in the esky and organise a fishing trip for you guys to \"sort out the problem\";) is there any chance one of the avid readers whom work in the tackle industry can give you some receipts too help you out and i think a picture of you and the articles can help too i believe but hell im a awning installer so i dont really know:)

My motor was a 54lb stern mount \"Sportsfisher\" with Anderson plug on lead, and it does not operate.

As Ray says - if anyone sees anything on Ebay or at \"Stash Converters\" matching the descriptions please let crimestoppers know.

I used to religiously mark all my stuff, but have not done so for years, the engraver will be coming out before the next trip!

rayke1938 wrote:

Mack_attack wrote:
was any of your gear insured?

I am w3ith NRMA and reply on sunday was no but I rang them again today and got a different person and she was confident that my gear may be covered by my household contents policy so i have to ring her back tomorrow and submit a claim. My problem is going to produce reciepts as the rod was purchased at a garage sale and the reel from ebay.

Graham has yet to contact his company.

Ray

Guys, did you speak with the Manangement of the cabins about the liability under the Inn Keepers Act. (you know the little plaque on the back of hotel doors)

I know its a long shot, and liability is limited in dollar value too, but maybe worth persuing if insurance companies wash their hands of it.

faulked wrote:

are you saying theystole a dead sternmount thats friggin priceless hope you get a new one on insurance fingers crossed

Yeah but it still had a few weeks of warranty left, so could have had it fixed!

Insurance wont cover it, so looks like chrissy present will be a new 54lb watersnake this year!

bootyinblue wrote:

Guys, did you speak with the Manangement of the cabins about the liability under the Inn Keepers Act. (you know the little plaque on the back of hotel doors)

I know its a long shot, and liability is limited in dollar value too, but maybe worth persuing if insurance companies wash their hands of it.

They said they would look into it Booty, but going on past experience, they want receipts etc etc, so no go.

Also have not bothered to report the motor stolen, the local coppers would not accept the theft report from Ray, said I had to do it myself.

When I have gone to the local cop shop (one of those shopping centre setups) there has been no one there twice, so cant be bothered following it up. (The insurance company already said no anyway).

what sort of insurance would be needed i wonder to cover this sort of thing i know that money cant replace memories i have some very sentimental rods but it can help with new memories i just got insurance on my boat and now i see my gear isnt covered unless its mounted to the vessel:unsure:

I have lodged a claim with NRMA and at this stage it looks like they will pay up.

It all hinged on the fact that the patio had a gate on it that could be shut.

The gear is covered by my household contents policy that allows you to take up to 10% of the value of the policy away with you for a period of 61 days.

They did not ask for proof of purchase . Just wanted model numbers and said that they will send me along to a supplier of their choice to obtain replacement items.

Because it was theft I will not have to pay an excess on the claim or loose my no claim bonus.

Graham has his insurance through Alliance via a broker and is still waiting to hear if he is covered.

At this stage I am a bit happier and will keep you posted.

Feral have another go at your insurance.

Cheers

Ray

Master Sardines wrote:

sorry to hear about your loss guys! This is worse than loosing your dog of 10 years :(

I would rather loose everything then my dog.

The good news is that today i have had 2 phone calls from tackle supply companies from Sydney asking details about the rod and lures that I have lost.

The insurance co ( NRMA ) have put the replacement of the stolen gear out to tender and are going to replace all stolen gear with new.

Grahams insurance ( Alliance ) are also reluctantly coming to the party after he had an initial rejection but they changed their mind when he told them that NRMA were paying out for me. He also told them he would take it to the insurance ombudsman.

Grahams big problem is remembering what lures he had and he has spent the whole day going through MO tackle catalogue.

Big problem is that they do not list a lot of lures.

Cheers

Ray

Archived