Pin Trip 16.10.2016 Tmc... In Search Of The Illusive Pelagius

benno573

So after much badgering, I agreed to contractal terms with @Danielle and allowed her to join @ellicat and I on one of our regular pilgrimages to check on Jacob’s Wellbeing.  Once again, you will be relieved to know Jacob is indeed well, if not a little over crowded owing to the flathead social organized by our very own @Bri The Pom(which I hope was a ripping success). 

This trip was to be a little different. After hearing from @Old Scaley about the illusive Pelagius, I was determined to capture, document, film and all that one of these previously unknown to science critters.

We launched the good ship rebel-t at the leisurely hour of midday with the plan being to fish the last of the run out tide and the first few hours of the run in, with low at about 330pm.

We headed up the Jacobs well channel which was a bit like a washing machine with a 15-20kn northerly against a ripping outgoing tide creating about a 2ft chop combined with tonnes of boat traffic – majority of which seemed to have little or no regard for the rules of the water – on the road it’s keep left but on the water it’s your other left you numbskull!  I am glad that I did not have any fillings to shake out, it would have been extremely uncomfortable and borderline dangerous in a small tinny.   Timely reminder that “Smooth Waters” aren’t always that smooth. 

After turning off into some calmer waters, we had a bit of a troll for a while in the hope of putting Danielle onto her first flattie, testing out a couple of @Madmic lures along the way.  Not a blight on the lures (which seem to have a great action) but the fish weren’t there to play and the amount of weed was frustrating.  The Pelagius weren't interested in the lures either. So we gave up on that as a bad joke and headed off to get some yabbies. 

Leaving Ellicat in the boat to supervise, Danielle and I headed off and sorted the bait situation and we then headed up to one of my regular spots which is out of any channel and was relieved to find no other boats up there.  We anchored up, I tossed out a yabbie and within a minute had the first whiting on board, a good start at bang on 30cm.  @rayke1938 made his presence felt on several too many occasions but in between the rays we continued to add whiting and a bream to the esky.   @Binder was no-where to be seen on this occasion. Still no Pelagius action either. :(

As the tide slowed the bite dropped off but randomly each of us managed to land a legal sand crab on the line within the space of about 10 minutes right on the bottom of the tide. 

We moved to the incoming tide spot in the same area and the bite was pretty consistent straight away with a couple more whiting and three more bream being added.  Danielle had her first battle with a ray which was a bit funny to watch, kind of like a small child with a large present to unwrap on Xmas… The bite slowed significantly and with the sun soon to disappear we made the call to head to another spot, as the crow flies all of 500m away but about a 10km run to get to!  The tide was ripping again, I could only manage 27.5kn into the tide but when we turned the corner and were going with the tide we hit 32.5kn immediately. 

We made it to the spot which was significantly more sheltered than the last one and anchored up right on the peak bite period at dusk.  The bite was pretty quick and good sized whiting to 34cm where coming over the side fairly frequently.  In amongst all this there was a specky sunset and a full moon rising over Nth Straddie to made us all ooo and ahhh .  The bite dropped off as is very typical when it gets properly dark and we made the call to head back in.  At this point I was very glad it was a full moon as I realized I had left the headlamps in the car!  Not a problem  when there are markers with lights on them but we were a long way from any marked channel let alone a lit one!  A cautious first 3-4km until we got back into the marked channels and then a cruisy run back to a deserted boat ramp. 

Final count was 18 whiting 26-34cm, 4 bream around 27/28 and three unlucky sandies. 

Further efforts will be required to land a Pelagius. More effort on this next trip!

Thanks to Danielle and Ellicat for the day out and for the catering contributions.  I would highly recommend Danielle’s cupcakes and fried rice, maybe not in the same mouthful though. 

Danielle is responsible for adding the pics. 

Thanks for reading. 

Benno <’><

Very thorough coverage there, @benno573.

It must be added that Benno caught a majority of the keepers (as well as at least 1/2 dozen rays - haha) while Danielle and I fished at the same place with the same rigs and caught less (1 of us a lot less :bye:). The curses got louder each time we looked at each other while he wound in another. I reckon it's the smell of my tarred fingers.

It was a great pleasure to have a keen decky in Danielle keeping me out of jobs. :D

Another great day of laughs and banter that was brought to an appropriate close when Danielle fell out of the boat at the ramp ! :lol::lol:

Unfortunately no pelagius but cupcakes for the win !

No photo therefore it didn't happen! I did not straddle the side of the boat too afraid to drop to certain death of 12cm of water, Nor did I fall into 347 yabbie holes nor did I fashion a shewee which failed miserably nor did I climb OVER the dash onto the front of the boat instead of through the hatch. I shall retort further but I've just awoken from a peaceful slumber and require a drip of caffeine before I do so... Video is in progress so for now here are a few piccys!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

35 minutes ago, Danielle said:

Vous avez certainement laissé de grandes chaussures à remplir @Old Scaley mais la peur ne vous étiez amoureusement mentionné là-bas.

Merci @Danielle. Mes chaussures sont seulement taille 43 et je me demande où je les ai laissé. BTW, I would be careful about speaking French in front of @ellicat It has been known to send him into an uncontrollable frenzy.

@benno573 looks pretty sexy in black and white, I must say, @Danielle. Me on the cover of GQ with what looks like a missing tooth - I'm not so sure. :unsure: Hahaha

We were in Tiger Mullet Channel at one point and Danielle asked Benno if that's where we were. TMC. What else could that stand for I asked. There were many answers given during the day. Obviously for me, @Luvit, the most appropriate was Too many cooks :P

Bahaha THEY were the lucky ones @Binder. Free entertainment, wit, humour, highly intelligent, can pump yabbies 3 times before feeling faint and everything!  

@benno573 was really kind and prepped all the fish and gave me a huge bag full as well as the crabs so tonight we shall feast on Kylie Kwong's Black Bean and Chilli Crab. Wish I could split it 50 ways and have you all round :drooling: 

That looks awesome Danielle.

i also prefer sandy over muddie for flavour. Sand crab claw meat is just awesome. Coral crab which occasionally shows up in pots especially out in the bay is even sweeter in flavour than sandy, just wish they were as common!

that all being said... Muddy claw meat on some crusty white bread with some butter, pepper and a good mayo and a bit of chilli is pretty damn good. Also has the advantage in as much as one decent claw can make two sangers whereas you need almost a whole sandy to make the same.

Archived